Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kiev 4a shutter doesn't cap Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Kiev 4a shutter doesn't cap « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Larson

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello all. I have a '63 kiev that I love dearly, my favorite camera, that the two shutters don't close during winding all the time (intermittantly). I am winding before setting exposure, as advised for these cameras, but it does not seem related to that. I have diagnosed this as the problem, and am handy with tools on cameras.

Any thoughts or advise would be greatly appreciated, the camera was working fine, the first I discovered the problem, was when my 8 mo niece was visiting on her first Thanksgiving, ouch.

I have other cameras, more expensive, but this is the one that suits me best.

Many thanks again.

rick oleson

Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 01:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's possible that you may have one ribbon broken; or the latches at the corners of the curtains may not be gripping properly.

in either case, here's how to get into it: http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/contax1.gif

the latches are on a little spring strip attached to the edge of the first curtain. you can bend these a little to tighten the latches. in the contax the strip is held with screws and is removable, but i think it might be riveted in the kiev.

i really don't understand the "wind before setting exposure" thing with the kiev.

rick :)=

John Larson

Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 06:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many thanks rick! Ok, I have the shutter cover off. Just to make sure, by 'the first curtain', you mean the one that comes down first?

The spring strip is screwed on in my camera, what is the proper position for the latches, they don't seem to 'latch' onto anything, or even touch the second curtain?

The ribbons look fine, ends are connected to the second curtain, but, when wound, the shutter is kind of slanted, could one of the ribbons have stretched?

Thanks so much for your help!

John Larson

Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 06:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah!, removed the spring/latch thing, now I see the latches.

John Larson

Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Update: The camera's back together, seems to be working! Thank you so much for your help, and your invaluable diagrams, rick!

:) :) :)

rick

Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 09:59 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yay! you're more than welcome.....

:)=

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration