Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Stuck lens elements on Isolette Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Stuck lens elements on Isolette « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Robert

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 02:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What's your preferred technique for unsticking front-element focusing lenses? I have a little Isolette with very sticky grease. It's soaking in Naptha as we speak, but I don't have high hopes for that.

Charles Fallis

Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 03:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A number of people here have had good results in this situation using heat. Not a lot, just let it sit near a 100-watt lightbulb for an hour or maybe turn a hair dryer on it for a couple of minutes.

robert

Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 09:41 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No luck, but thanks for the tip

Scott

Posted on Monday, April 12, 2004 - 11:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That old hardened grease WILL soften considerably if the whole thing is heated evenly. A few minutes in the oven on low heat usually works. I think the trick is to give it enough time to heat up evenly, and then to unscrew the parts (I hold it with a towel) while it is still hot.

Winfried

Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 03:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I usually apply some drops of gun oil around the gap of the focus ring, and add some more drops of lighter fluid. This softened the grease at least t o a degree so that the focussing element could be unscrewed with reasonable force.

Donald Qualls

Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 07:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another option is to use a small version of a strap wrench to get a grip on the ring. Don't use pliers or a pipe wrench or similar tool; you'll damage the focus ring, lens cell, or threads. But if you wrap a large rubber band around the rim of the focus ring, it will greatly improve the amount of force you can apply with your hand, and combined with soaking a little oil and/or lighter fluid into the thread and applying gentle heat may make the difference.

Robert

Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 11:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the advice. I forgot to set it soaking while I am at work today, but I will try this evening.

I let it sit on a bare 60w halogen bulb for a couple of hours last night with no luck.

I am thinking of making a couple of collet wrenches from hardwood if all else fails. I used a dental dam to apply force last night but that didn't do it.

David Richert

Posted on Tuesday, April 13, 2004 - 02:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try looking at my web page for ideas http://www.davidrichert.com/AGFA%20rebuild/agfa.htm

marco

Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 09:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i suppose you've already tried these but, just for the sake of memory/method, let's not forget both tapping and vibration .....

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration