Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Using 1.5 Alkaline battery instead of... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Using 1.5 Alkaline battery instead of PX625 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

nolageek

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, April 14, 2004 - 10:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just got a Canonet QL17 and it uses the 1.35v mercury cell, PX625. If I were to use the 1.5v alkaline cell - how would I adjust the ASA to compensate for the different voltage effect on the meter? It doesn't have to be dead on, but I dont want it to be wildly different - at least until I can get the adapter.

Charles Fallis

Posted on Thursday, April 15, 2004 - 05:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, until you can get the adapter, why don't you get a 1.4 volt Wein cell (zinc/air)? Most photo shops carry them and you won't have to do any adjustments.

Winfried

Posted on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 03:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This question has been discussed pretty often - in pretty many places. Actually, it is NOT possible to compensate for the 'extra voltage' given by alkaline cells. The voltage of alkaline cells is not very constant over time. When new they even have around 1.55V.

The good news is that the voltage of alkaline cells drops to around 1.45V after some time of operation, and with the low load of the Canonet lightmeter will stay around this value for quite a while. A friend has used some similar cameras with 'pre-aged' alkaline cells with good results for b/w and color print film. For slide film the light meter has to be more accurate.

rick

Posted on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 07:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Even if the voltage error held constant over time, the required ASA correction would be different in different light levels. You need to either reduce the voltage from the battery (a correcting adapter, or a diode in the circuit in the camera) or use a zinc/air cell.

With negative film, though, I've found the film latitude to be enough to get away with alkalines in my QL17 and just live with the error.

rick :)=

Jerry Kimball

Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 06:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go to Wal-Mart, Radio Shack, or a drug store and buy a pack of 675 size hearing aid batteries. These are 1.4V zinc-air, same as a Wein cell but MUCH less expensive per battery. Then go to a local bearing supply house (Motion Industries, Applied Industrial, etc.) and get a size 13 o-ring to serve as a spacer to keep the battery centered in the battery well. Put the o-ring around the battery, pull off the tab from the battery, put the battery into the camera, fasten the cap and wait one minute for the battery to activate and you can enjoy taking properly exposed pictures for the next two or three months, depending on how much you use your camera.

Kiron Kid

Posted on Sunday, July 11, 2004 - 01:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You can still get the original 1.35 volt Mercury batteries for your camera.(www.px625.com ) I've used the zinc-air's in mine. They work fine, just don't last as long. But at $5.00 for six of them......

(www.px625.com)

Kiron Kid

Rachel Rivera

Posted on Tuesday, July 27, 2004 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

see this page: http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=000dbB

its got alot of other info about the Wein, and how the battery wouldn't fit into at Minolta SR T 101, which is what i have..... also, gives more info about this camera : "recommended having the meter modified to use a 1.5 volt alkaline battery. There is a simpler (and possibly less expensive) solution that works perfectly. It is called an MR9 adaptor, available from Cris Camera Service on the 'net at http://www.criscam.com/cris2i.htm for about $30."

see photo.net for more!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration