Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Leica RF focusing cam distance, and S... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Leica RF focusing cam distance, and Schacht question « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Stuart

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

i am back, i got my IIIa up and running with some help from Mr. Oleson, and now am dealing with some lens issues.
Is there a standard distance that the focus cam protrudes from lens flange when the lens is focused at infinity? Or at any other point?

i ask because i now have two lenses, and they do not agree in this measurement. One (Schacht Travenar 135/3.5) is 8.1mm and the RF focus is way off, the other (Jupiter 8 50-2.0) is 7.5mm and is very good. I can reassembe the Schacht to 7.0mm protrusion, but i do not know if it is RF coupled correctly yet.

BTW if anyone has worked on the Schacht Travenar, please let me know. i have a question about the lens.

Thanks,

Stuart

rick

Posted on Friday, April 16, 2004 - 07:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've measured the flange-to-cam distance on 8 different lenses. They range from 7.45 to 7.59mm. The best quality lenses (Leitz and Nikkor) are in the 7.55-7.59 range, so I've kind of settled on 7.55mm as the "correct" distance.

rick :)=

Stuart

Posted on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 12:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Rick,

i had a feeling you would answer..... :)

i kinda thought it would be a known, like the film to flange distance.

a hektor arrived in the mail today, it measures 7.56mm. it seems to be in good order, if a little worse for wear. i'll try to figure out how to get the schacht closer to 7.55mm

Winfried

Posted on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 10:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have two Schacht 135mm, one in the all chrome version (and with the early A.Schacht Muenchen engraving before they moved to Ulm in the early 50s) and a black one. The chrome one is a real pain to disassemble (it still rests on the shelf, reassembled but not adjusted yet). I did not work on the black one too much but I also had to readjust the coupling once. Let me know which version you have.

Stuart

Posted on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 10:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Winfried,

i have the chrome one from Muenchen. The rear element is easy, but i could not get to the front element. if i remember what i did was:
After removing the focus sleeve
Remove the infinity stop and three (well i have only one) grub screws
Unscrew the sleeve with the grips, this reveals one screw, remove that, then the aperture ring is loose. That is as far as i could get. i could not get the focus grip sleeve to come all the way off.
As there are flakes in the front elements i would like to remove, any help to get there would be greatly appreciated.
The coupling i have down pat. The infinity is now 7.42mm. i think that is as close as it will get.

Stuart

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration