Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Retina IIIc repair questions (shutter... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Retina IIIc repair questions (shutter and RF) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Don Congdon

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 08:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My old Retina IIIc's shutter seems to stick a bit on the slow speeds (it's been in storage for several years). My guess is that the shutter needs a cleaning and lubrication. Can anyone advise me as to how to get the shutter open without major disassembly of the camera? Is it best to simply flood the shutter with lighter fluid and then oil the escapement?

Also, I've noticed that the rangefinder shows "hysteresis" when I focus (the double image moves more slowly than the focus action but always catches up after a second or two). Again, it's probably gummed up from lack of use. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Winfried

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Due to the removable front lens element the shutter of the Retina is quite easy to access. I think you might some notes on the Synchro Compur shutter on Dan Mitchell's site:

www.daniel.mitchell.name

On the Retinas it happens pretty often that dissolved lubricant from the escapement gets on the blades during cleaning and the blades will get gummed up, too. Disassembly of the shutter is not very easy but I had good results with thorough cleaning of the blades from the front. But this takes patience.

The rangefinder problem is pretty common, too. Remove the top cover (and leave the camera upright, there are two loose parts of the advance mechanism which might fall off) and clean/lubricate the bearings and the actuating shaft of the rangefinder. You can clean the viewfinder as far as possible but usually they do not become much brighter.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration