Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Cleaning focusing screen Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Cleaning focusing screen « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Tim

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, April 17, 2004 - 11:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks to all for the advice on various techniques for cleaning the focusing screen on my Canon AE-1's. Both the 99% isopropyl and the lighter fluid worked well for picking up the black bits of decomposed mirror cushion. I used a kit to replace the mirror bumper and the camera is ready for use.

I had one particularly bad camera with a lot of dirt that the gentle methods would not pick up. Examining under bright light, I was led to believe these marks were scratches, not debris as they just would not come off. No amount of gentle rolling and dabbing cotton swabs would remove the marks. So, I thought I would experiment a little despite the risk. I used a cotton swab (tight rolled swabs, designed for electonic repair work) with 99% isopropyl and really scrubbed the mark while watching it under bright light. Its very difficult to work in that area and get good lighting and view, I might add. After about 30 seconds of intensive hard, scrubbing, the mark disappeared. So I went on to the next, and the next. These marks were on the mat area of the focus screen. I know this is a fragile surface and to be treated gently, but it has proven to be a lot tougher than I was led to believe. I have no idea what these marks were, as I tried alcohol, naptha, lens cleaner and even windex on cotton swabs and it wouldn't come off. Only thru vigorous scrubbing, which did not at all alter the mat surface, did it remove the spots. So I am left wondering what these spots were, why they were so hard to remove, and whether they were actually scratches that I somehow blended back into the mat surface by vigorous application of pressure. In any event, I have now restored the focus screen to 90% of what it should be. As this one rough camera is my sort of practice camera, I think I will attempt to remove the top and clean the viewfinder, which has numerous dust particles. If the camera is a write-off, I consider it the cost of learning. I would certainly not be so experimental on a good camera, nor do I recommend anyone else try my hard scrubbing lest they regret the end result.

Tim
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steve

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, August 16, 2004 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an OLYMPUS OM77Af 35mm , I cleaned the focus screen and it was distroyed (CRAP) Where can I find another screen??? Word to the wise ,Handle this item with kidgloves ...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration