Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

When did flash sychronisation appear ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » When did flash sychronisation appear in leaf shutters? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Reiner

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 04:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It was my understanding that flash synchronisation in leaf shutters appeared after world war two. Compur Rapid shutters of the late 40ties exist which have a PC socket and flash synchronisation. However I recently aquired a Weltini II of 1939 with a synchronized Compur Rapid shutter and a Kodak Retina type 118 of 1935 with a synchronized Compur! I wonder if the cameras were sold like this or if the flash synchronisation was added later, if ever possible. It looks perfectly like factory made. I wonder also if this is M or X synchronisation. M seems to be more propable to me but then the sync mechnism must include some kind of escapement. The question of M syc for X synch might be tested with a film and an electronic flash.

Any comments to this issue are wellcome.

charlie stobbs

Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 08:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think Argus C3 cameras were available in the late 30's with synch. flash. Also I remember a camera my sister had, one step up from a box camera with a dedicated flash, Agfa I think. The early Kodak Madallist I was also available with flash as I remember.

rick oleson

Posted on Monday, April 19, 2004 - 11:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Most cameras adopted flash synch when they resumed production after WWII; however, the Argus C3 came out in 1939, and the Exakta, Perfex and Mercury (all focal plane types) had synch before the war. 1935 seems very early though; my recollection was that the exakta was the first camera with internal synch, starting in 1936. I don't recall ever seeing a Compur of prewar construction with internal flash synch.

the PC socket was not introduced until the late 1940s, which is why the ASA post is seen on a number of early postwar models from the USA and Japan.

:)=

charlie stobbs

Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 07:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Synchronizers were an after market option in the 1930's. Some,if not all ,of them operated through the cable release. A trial and error adjustment closed the circuit before the cable had stroked far enough to operate the shutter.

Reiner

Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 01:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I shall give 2 more cents to the discussion. I saw a Nagel Vollenda on ebay which is propably of 1935/36 with a PC socket and I got myself another early Weltini of 1937 with PC socket. I believe in the meantime that slash sync with this connector was introduced around the middle of the 30ties though it was a rare feature. I can not believe that the synchronisation was added later. The shutters are so tiny and it looks allways like factory made.

The PC socket was propably introduced earlier in Germany than in the USA or in Japan. Old descriptions of japanese cameras call the PC socket German socket.

Winfried

Posted on Wednesday, April 21, 2004 - 04:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are some sources which say that PC actually means 'Prontor Compur', since this socket was first introduced on these german shutters. Both companies (which probably were under common Zeiss ownership already) used the same socket.

rick oleson

Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 08:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The PC socket was certainly introduced first in Germany, in Prontor and Compur shutters; and there were factory synched Compur Rapids prior to the introduction of the Synchro Compur. However, I haven't ever seen anything indicating this happening before the war. Super Ikontas and Rolleiflexes up to and even after the war lack factory synch, which would seem very odd if synched shutters were being shipped to Welta in 1937. Retrofit of flash synch into unsynched shutters was very common into the late 1950s, and much of it was very well done.

rick :)=

Don Congdon

Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 10:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On the topic of flash sync contact names, does anyone know the name of the flash connector found on some old Kodak shutters? Instead of the more familiar female-type PC contact, it is a male connector designed to bayonet onto the sync cable. Were adapters ever made to allow people with Kodaks to use the more common PC equipment? When I was in high school, I used an old Kodak Tourist with an electronic flash by hacking up a sync cable and jury-rigging an attachment.

Dan Mitchell

Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 02:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I always called the Kodak style connector the "Kodak connector" :)

I have an adapter for Kodak to PC that came attached to a Signet 35, so they do exist.

Jim Brokaw

Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 05:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think the very old post-style sync connector was called an "ASA" connector. This was the "American Standards Association" which was involved in trying to create standards for photography, I guess they were trying to come up with one connection that was universal... but the PC socket won out. Leica tried to use a different socket connection for a while, but gave it up after some time. I think the PC socket's problem is that it is easy for the cord to pull out. Having a messy variety of proprietary connections is not much of a better solution though.

Frans van de Kamp

Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 06:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

An ASA to PC convertor to be used on old Kodak camera's can be bought from Klaas Morcus
mailto:[email protected]

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration