Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Cyanoacrylate adhesive Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Cyanoacrylate adhesive « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Aaron

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 12:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

In the course of repairing a camera I've used the above adhesive to stick a nylon cog to a metal rod. The result is unsatisfactory. Is there a solvent I can use to dissolve the adhesive but leave the nylon part unharmed so that I can do the sticking again more properly? Thanks!

Winfried

Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 04:51 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some plastics obviously cannot be glued very good with Superglue. I found acetone as a good solvent for Superglue but I am not sure how it will affect the nylon part.

rick oleson

Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 06:12 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nylon should be okay with the acetone, but be careful not to let any get on any other plastic parts. Nylon has generally excellent chemical resistance which unfortunately makes it very difficult to bond with adhesives.

Donald Qualls

Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 07:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Correct on the acetone, and correct that nylon shouldn't be softened by short exposure, but try to minimize the exposure of the nylon; acetone will soften nylon, it just takes a lot longer than most plastics.

For bonding nylon, unfortunately, there's no good solution; the best I've run across was to machine the nylon with interlock surfaces and use epoxy resin that's strong enough to act as a mechanical join. Epoxy sticks very well to clean metal, especially if it's not polished/plated, so if it has a means of gripping the nylon mechanically (deep splines, slots, etc.) and you can work the epoxy into the interlocks, it will hold.

Aaron

Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 07:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've safely removed the glue using acetone. The parts are glued together again with epoxy after treatment with sandpaper. The result is good. Thank you all for the input.
Aaron

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration