Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

NIKON F-2 strangeness Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » NIKON F-2 strangeness « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

jth

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 04:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am just getting started in photography. I recently bought a nikon f-2 w/DP-1. Got the slides back and they look like they were taken with a cheap digital camera! The slides from my other nikon bodies using the same lens were fine. Underexposed? Film bad? Mirror misaligned? Some pictures were fine, others strange. Perhaps the shutter speed is off on some stops. Also the meter (DP-1) is four stops slow. Know any fixes? I can live with the meter but this strange "pixelization" of the slides is wierd. Thanks!

rick oleson

Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 10:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This does not sound like a camera problem... it could be bad film.

If your meter is 4 stops off, how are you determining your exposures? and how did you determine that the meter is 4 stops off? If you're just getting started in photography, I'm assuming that you don't have a dozen good cameras and meters lying on the shelf for comparison; but I suppose that may not be a safe assumption.

Also, what kind of film are you using? Slide film, when underexposed, generally just goes dark... underexposed negatives, however, exhibit low contrast and extreme graininess in the prints similar to what you seem to be describing.

This cannot in any event be caused by a misaligned mirror, that would only affect focus. It is possible for the shutter speed to be correct at some speeds and off at others, but the F2 is not particularly prone to this as far as I know. Were the "fine" pictures taken in substantially different lighting, different shutter speeds, apertures, etc than the "weird" ones?

charlie stobbs

Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I remember a film effect called reticulation when film was developed at too high a temperature. It sort of looked like pixels but would probably show over the whole roll to some degree.

jth

Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 11:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was using Kodakrome EBX. This has happened on more than one roll of film although all rolls which this has happened on were the same make, bought at the same time. They have been in and out of the fridge a few times...Maybe that has something to do with it. As for the meter, I have compared it to a couple different cameras and a just set the ASA dail 4 stops to correct. seems to be consistent. I have shot the same location, different camera, same exposure and same film (different roll)...No problem. Any advice? Perhaps it's a exposure mistake (over/under) on my part, but I have never seen film get grainy when under/overexposed. Rick, I am actually not really as novice as I stated...Aren't we all "just starting out" when it comes to photography? I know the basics I guess. Lastly, anybody on this site from JAPAN? I live in Yokohama...

Thanks again,

Jason

rick oleson

Posted on Friday, April 23, 2004 - 09:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try some different film and see if the problem goes away.... maybe the multiple hot/cold cycles have damaged the emulsion.

JTH

Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 06:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well I went out this weekend with a few fresh rolls of 50 speed velvia. I will see what happens when I get them developed. Maybe the old F2 is OK. I still have a lot of the kodachrome EBX left, however. I dont trust the rest of it now. I just remembered it got X rayed too on a trip to Korea. Could that be it? BTW, I just bought my first autofocus SLR...It`s a bit different from my F2! I can tell that film a developing costs are gonna increase...

Thanks again everyone especially Rick.

jason

jth

Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 07:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well it was definately the film. Just got some slides back shot with the same camera and 50 speed velvia...Whoa. Big difference. I wont get into a Fuji vs. Kodak thing but for landscapes velvia is it for me. The F2 lives on but is getting used a little less frequently now that I got a Nikon 8008s. Thanks everyone! I might cross process the rest of the EBX in C-41 for fun.

jason

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration