Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AE-1 Shutter Release Problems A... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Canon AE-1 Shutter Release Problems AND SQUEAK « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Phil

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 12:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Canon AE-1 that the shutter is not releaseing. I am aware of where the shutter release magnet is and how to release the shutter manually. The problem is intermitant (spelling?). I took the covers off the camera and cleaned some dust and dirt out. When I put it back together, the camera worked about 30 times and then the shutter magnet stuck. I measured the resistance of the solenoid that releases the magnet (while it is still soldered to the flex board) and it was about 90 ohms. I read in a repair book that it should be 10 ohms. I would think that the solenoid would be bad except that it works once in a while. I read another message on the forum that there should be 3.2 volts at the solenoid when the shutter button is pressed. I will test that tonight. How can I remove the plastic cover that is over the shutter release magnet and solenoid in order to clean them? I have tried pulling on it but I don't want to rip it apart.

Is there an easy way to oil the mirror so that it doesn't sqeak? I read a book that gives a little blurb about it but nothing in great detail.

Thanks for any help.

rick

Posted on Thursday, April 22, 2004 - 09:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have a sketch for the squeak if you'd like to email me for it. you should be able to pull the plastic cover off of the trigger solenoid. you might also want to check that the shutter release switch contacts are clean.

:)=

Brian

Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 01:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Canon AE-1 wines sometimes and shutter speed is slower when taking a picture.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration