Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Information sought on SOM Berthiot lens? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Information sought on SOM Berthiot lens? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Matthew Padden

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 03:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

A friend has sent me a lens assembly from an old SEM camera, which I'm planning to use in a custom panoramic I'm building. However, I'm not sure how complete the assembly I have is. I'm wondering if anyone knows much about these lenses? I _think_ it's from a TLR camera, but I couldn't be sure; if it is then I have only the taking lens.

The information around the lens barrel is as follows:

FLOR 1:3.5 f=75 SOM BERTHIOT P43400

The aperture control seems to work, as does the shutter.

If it helps I can provide an image of the various pieces I have.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Matthew Padden
Glasgow, UK

Winfried

Posted on Sunday, April 25, 2004 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This obviously is the taking lens from the french Semflex TLR. I have one of these with the same lens designator. The shutter is made by SEM as well and usually has the OREC designator, it comes in two flavours, one with 1/10 to 1/400 and one with 1 sec to 1/400. The viewing lenses of the Semflex had the same design but f/2.8.

Berthiot lenses have a good reputation. The Flor lens is a 4-element Tessar type design. Some french 6x9 folders have a Berthiot Special lens (usually f/4.5 or f/3.5 and 105mm) which perform quite well, too.

The lens you have will cover the 6x6 format, I am not sure how you are going to use it on a panoramic camera?

If you do not have any idea how to use it, maybe I would buy it - the lens and the shutter on my Semflex do not work too well since they were stored in a humid place for years - I could save it just before it was totally corroded.

Matthew Padden

Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 02:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Winfried,

Thanks for the lens information. The one I have has a shutter which does 1/10 to 1/400 I believe.

The panoramic camera is an idea based on a Dirk Fletcher design, using the body of a Nimslo 3D camera and an appropriate lens. The Nimslo exposes a 35mm double-width negative area, so by using a medium format lens you can get a good panoramic result.

Having looked at a few sites, it seems that my lens is missing at least some parts; the aperture and speed indicator rings and the 'figure-8' lens mount, among others. However I'm glad to hear the lenses are well-regarded. I should be able to figture out a way to mount the lens and work out the aperture and speed settings (hopefully!).

Best regards,
Matthew Padden
Glasgow, UK

Winfried

Posted on Monday, April 26, 2004 - 03:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I see... even if you would have decided NOT to use this lens I hardly will be able to use it on my Semflex due to missing parts.

However, Dirk Fletcher is not the first one having the idea to convert a Nimslo body to a panoramic camera.

See

http://www.panoramakameras.de/24x73.htm

for one of the panoramic designs of Mr Graumann. He also uses Mamiya rollfilm backs (for 120 format panoramic cameras), FED-Stereo bodies and a 35mm repro cartridge with integrated transport mechanism made by the czech company Meopta.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration