Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Summitar CLA Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Summitar CLA « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Brandon J.

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, April 28, 2004 - 10:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, I have a coated post-war Summitar in nice condition, but the lens has a haze. My question is what would be the easiest way to open it up (with the lest disassembly)? My best guess is to use a spanner wrench or something and go in from the rear, does the rear group just unscrew out of the barrel? I would appreciate any help!

Thanks,
Brandon

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 01:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brandon,

If memory serves me right, the front element will unscrew - just turn the ring above the f-stop scale. To get into the rear, there might be some 'grub' setting screws on the collapsible part of the lens barrel. Once those are removed, you should be able to unscrew the rear lens group. I will have to check at home on one of my Summitars, if there is anything else you might have to do.

Good luck,

Jan

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 06:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Brandon,

I checked the Summitar and my memory was correct. The front element will unscrew, just make sure that you only turn the outermost ring on the lens and not the ring with the aperture index dot. The rear will come apart by first removing a set screw which holds the rear bayonet. That will unscrew, allowing access to the rear elements. There are also three set screws around the silver tubus of the collapsible mount - those hold the diaphragm assembly in place. Best is to leave that untouched, the diaphragm assembly on the Summitar is quite complex.

Good luck,

Jan

Brandon J.

Posted on Thursday, April 29, 2004 - 10:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,
First of all thanks. I got the lens to come out of the mount but i still am having some trouble, I'm I to understand that the front element(s) come out between the two knurled rings? If so I am having trouble getting it to thread out, and I don't want to force anything. Should the black tube come out of the chrome front? Again thanks, BTW there are two numbers engraved in the black lens tube, there is a 53 on one side and what looks like 57,9 on the other, is one the true focal length?

Brandon

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration