Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Ricoh zoom lens lubrication---need in... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Ricoh zoom lens lubrication---need information « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jeff

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 09:20 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would like to internally relubricate the glide component on my Ricoh 70-210mm/f3.9 zoom lens. The glide is a little stiff for my likeing. Can someone tell me where I could possibly locate disassembly information for this lens. I want to properly disassemble the lens without causing damage.
Thanks.

Jeff
rj56h@aol.com
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Steve

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 10:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Jeff. I do not know of any sites that offer detailed info on disassebling a lens. The best way is to just do it yourself. It would be good to invest in the proper tools first. A spanner wrench is worth it's weight in gold for working on lenses. You also need a good precision screwdriver set. Lowe's actually sells a nice one with a lifetime warrentee for only $5.00. It's in a black and red box. You also need some pieces or rubber for gripping different items.
The easiest thing to try first is to simply remove the rubber grip on the zoom/focus barrel. On a lot of lenses you can access and lube the glides through slots on this barrel. There may be some covers that are held on by tape running the length of the barrel. Once you remove these covers you can see the glides where you can apply some grease (not oil). You can also put some grease on the surfaces between the barrels. Most lenses have 3 separate barrels the slide inside each other. As you rotate the outer barrel to focus and zoom you can see these different barrels moving and rotating. Just lube any dry surfaces.
If you feel more adventurous and want to dig into the lens, once you get the tools just try it yourself, it's really not as bad as it looks. You may even want to pick up a parts lens on eBay to practice on. I started about 4 years ago working on lenses and I feel confident enough now to take apart virtually any lens and put it back together. Start by removing one part and then replacing it so you learn how it goes together. Do this one part at a time adding and replacing more pieces as you feel comfortable.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration