Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus Sp-35 Shutter Problem? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Olympus Sp-35 Shutter Problem? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

axelrod1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, April 30, 2004 - 11:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi. I've been using my Olympus 35-Sp rangefinder for awhile, but while on vacation, I was loading film -- the film advance "stuck", so I forced it a little to get it to move, and now the shutter doesn't open/close when pressed. With the back open, I can look at the shutter -- it opens when the film-advance lever is moved, but does not open when I press the shutter-release button.

Also, I can forward the film advance without clicking the shutter button. Something broke.

Any suggestions before I take it in and get ripped of on the repair?

thank you!

Winfried

Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 02:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe something in the cocking mechanism is misbent. Most parts of it can be found under the bottom plate. There is also a tiny leaf spring of which the end should be bent by 90 deg. Sometimes it breaks and the double wind latch does not work any more, i.e. you can advance the film several times w/o releasing.

axelrod

Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 09:59 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

how hard are these parts to find, and how foolish would it be for me to open the bottom plate and try and figure it out?

thanks

axelrod

Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 06:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

interestingly, I just got back some footage I shot before the problem. it's ruined. i can't explain it. it's like everything has been completely over-exposed, with random swirly, non-descript lines running through it??

I noticed when I advance the film now, in the cameras current state the shutter is open when the film advances? could this have been happening to me the whole time, I'm assuming it's not supposed to be like that as it would constantly expose the film.

thanks

Winfried

Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 01:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is not difficult to remove the bottom plate, and the advance/cocking mechanism of the 35SP is quite straightforward.

Maybe your misfortune is due to some fault in the cocking mechanism - if the shutter is not cocked completely, it will open directly after cocking it, and I could well imagine other faults, too.

axelrod

Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 07:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hi winfried,

thanks for the help. I took the bottom off and can see the mechanisms, but I'm not sure which it is that I'm looking for. Can you describe it to me, or is that too difficult without a visual? It seems everything it moving correctly, but I can't quite figure out which part is causing the shutter to open when the film release is pulled back, and not when the 'button' is pressed.

thanks

Winfried

Posted on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 01:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is no part causing the shutter to open in this case. I think the shutter is not sufficiently cocked. There is an internal latch in the shutter which is released when the shutter button is pressed. If the internal cocking mechanism (which is driven by the levers you see under the bottom plate) is not moved properly, it will not reach the latched position and the shutter may open when the cocking mechanism is moved backwards again when the advance crank returns.

I don't remember the cocking mechanism of the 35SP in detail, but there should be a slider which actutates a pin protruding backwards from the lens barrel.

axelrod1

Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 11:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I got a quote for $59.00 to repair the camera, they said it's impact damage that requires the camera to be deassembled. What do you think about this quote?

thanks!

Winfried

Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 04:36 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Disassembling and reassembling a camera plus repairing the shutter should take at least one hour of work. Concerning the value of a good working Oly35SP I think the repair estimate is appopriate provided the actual costs will not be much higher.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration