Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Proper lube for zoom lens? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Proper lube for zoom lens? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Howard Owen

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 06:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since no one stepped forward with any info regarding my Series 1 zoom, (https://kyp.hauslendale.com/classics/forum/messages/2/2450.html?1082167500) a friend and I have undertaken the job with little more to guide us than luck. We have taken the lens apart and, much to my surprise, the aperture which appeared to me to be dry was found to be swimming in oil. Assuming that we are successful in cleaning the blades and reassembling this beast, what sort of lube should be used to lubricate the zoom mechanism?

thanks
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

bill

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, May 01, 2004 - 09:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello.

Stop for a minute.

Where do you thinks that oil came from?
It usually comes from helical grease that has liquified.

Since you have a zoom, it also may have come from that lubricant, and in either case, it needs to be addressed at some point.

Some use a natural lubricant such as vaseline, but I don't think that I would.

Synthetic grease is the way to go.
Tomosy states to use bearing grease and I agree.
The aperture blades are not lubed.

If you intend to go any farther, do not remove the helix focusing mechanism unless you can collimate the lens to again focus at infinity.

I advise just removing all of the oil on the blades with lighter fluid.

This could take a few days.

Proceed slowly, and good luck.
Let us know how it works out. -Bill

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration