Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon AE-1 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Canon AE-1 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Amanda

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 12:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Canon AE-1 which I haven't used in quite a few years. I brought it out the other day and noticed the (pardon my lack of knowledge) screen the mirror flips up into is scratched. I know I'll need to replace it and am in the process of purchasing the part, but I'm not exactly sure on how to replace it. Would I be better off going to a repair shop? If anyone can tell me how to replace it I'd appreciate it.
Thanks,
Amanda
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

rick oleson

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 12:08 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you haven't already bought the new screen you should be advised that a scratches focusing screen will not harm your photos: if you can stand looking at the scratch, the camera will still work fine.

If you feel you really need it fixed, you should take it to a repair shop. In the canon AE1, the top cover must be removed to replace the screen and this involves possibly upseting the meter coupling settings. If you try this yourself you might not be able to get it back together and working right.

If you REALLY want to do it yourself, I have a sketch for removing and replacing the top cover at http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-157.html - but it doesn't show you hoe to get the prism out to reach the screen once you have the cover off.

:)=

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration