Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon Squeal Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Canon Squeal « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

rick oleson

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 12:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After receiving 5 requests from 3 countries in 2 days for sketches for fixing the Canon Squeal, I've decided it's probably easier to post them on my website than to keep emailing them out.

You can find them by scrolling down the links on the "Tech Notes" page on my website, or go directly to them at http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-157.html

best wishes and good luck

rick :)=

David Nebenzahl

Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 03:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks much for posting that, Rick.

Just one request for clarification: you say there

This is the source of the canon Squeal: a little flywheel and geartrain on the right hand side of the mirror box in the Canon AE1 and all the rest of the A-series Canons. With the top cover removed from the camera, it's possible to sneak an oiler needle down from above and reach the mechanism.

Since you haven't included any sketches of these parts, does this mean it's obvious where they are? or just that it was too difficult for you to sketch?

Just wondering, as an A-1 owner who may someday have to deal with the "Canon squeal".

rick

Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 06:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The flywheel is shown in dashed lines in the first sketch. There's an arrow pointing to it saying "Mirror Damper Flywheel/Gears Between Mirror Box & Battery Chamber", and the tip of the oiler is shown reaching down to it.

I didn't go into a lot of detail sketching the actual parts, because you won't be able to see them anyway. You have to use the sketch to get the oiler tip into the right spot, and kind of go by "feel".

rick :)=

steve

Posted on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 07:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's interesting accessing the "sqeel" from the top, but it is also possible to access it from the bottom. Much less work involved. I have fixed the squeel on several AE-1's from the bottom. Either way you have to be carefull not to get any oil on the shutters.

Geoff

Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 01:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good one Steve,
How about enlightening us on your method.
Regards
Geoff

Steve

Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 09:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Geoff. A picture could speak a thousand words but I do not know how to post one. Just a couple days ago I emailed a picture with some instructions to someone and now this guys camera is no longer squeeling and he is quite happy. Anyone who would like to see this please just email me and I'll forward it to you.

Rick

Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 12:10 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a AE-1 that I just bought at a thrift store and I'm not sure if I have the infamous "Squeel". The shutter/mirror just clicks like normal, but when I advance the film it's more or a ratchety squawk that appears to come from the gears in sliding over the shutter curtain. It may not be that off from normal, but it is different that what I hear from a Minolta XG-7 or a Canon GIII which sounds like a smooth advance. Is this what needs to be fixed with a drop of oil or can I work this out by exercising the film advance while watching reruns on TBS?

Henry

Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 07:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, that isn't the infamous Canon Squeal. The mirror movement is what makes the normal squeal. Your noise sounds like an obstruction in the wind mechanism. Possibly film chips??

So don't oil anything until you locate the noise. And probably you shouldn't even oil it then!

Henry

Garry

Posted on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 08:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Be very careful with this technique. Try not to overdo it and put oil directly on the proper gears. Otherwise, oil tends to get on to shutter curtains thus affecting the accuracy of shutter speed. Or worst come to worst it may sip into AE unit mechanism. The right way to do it is to completely remove the front panel and apply oil directly on to gears, thus avoiding unnecessary spillage.

Regards
Garry
www.garryscamera.com
[email protected]

Gordon

Posted on Saturday, June 19, 2004 - 11:26 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

For those who already know the location of the flywheel that causes the squeak. I found a little trick to make the repair a little easier.
Looking at the camera from the front. Remove the top left screw on the lens mount. If you have a syringe type oiler, you can reach the flywheel with just the right curve on the needle. It only needs a drop of oil so be careful.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration