Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Retina reflex lens puzzle -- need help Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Retina reflex lens puzzle -- need help « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

craig kaufman

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, May 02, 2004 - 08:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a retina IIIC (large) with the f2.0 Schnieder and the two aux lenses. I recently aquired a retina reflex also with the Schnieder 2.0 lens. All serial numbers match for both cameras and both work fine.. When I try to put the 35 or 80 mm front groups on the reflex, they focus fine and fit correctly, but the shutter hangs up. It seems as if the rear elements of the aux lenses are too deep. Can anyone shed any light on this problem and a possible fix?

Ezio

Posted on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 01:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WATCH OUT! The front lens elements for the IIIC (also IIIc) and the Reflex are NOT INTERCHANGEABLE with each other! You can make mess of both your cameras by insisting trying! AFAIK there is not "fix" to this - they are just a different design.

Jim Brokaw

Posted on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 09:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The elements from the IIIC probably wouldn't work on the Reflex anyway. The IIIC has two-part lenses, there are glass elements behind the shutter as well as those that are removable in front of the shutter. The lenses for the Retina Reflex have glass elements only in front of the shutter, with the space behind the shutter occupied by the reflex mirror mechanism. Retina Reflex lenses -are- interchangeable on the Retina IIIs, but do not have the rangefinder ramp, so the rangefinder on that camera won't work with them.

Winfried

Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 08:24 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a difference between early Retina Reflex's and the Reflex S. The early ones are designed to accept IIc/IIIc lenses - I bought one together with a leaflet showing how to use it on the Reflex, and it fits my IIc nicely. (It was advertised on ebay as 'Retina Reflex lens', so the ignorant part of the IIc/IIIc gang did not bid, and I got it quite cheap.)

The Reflex S has a completely different mount, so probably it is impossible to mount any IIc/IIIc lenses there. Even if it is possible, you will see at once that these lens 'parts' do not focus correctly on the screen.

Ezio

Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 01:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jim: the second part of your note is not correct. I have both a Reflex III and a IIIS, and the lenses (28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 135mm) are perfectly interchangeable INCLUDING the rangefinder function. However, I'm told that your comment applies as regard the very first production lots (Reflex I, possibly II?)
Winfried: ???????? Jim is of course right in stating that the II/IIIs have glass behind the shutter, while the Reflex hasn't. The II/IIIs have but repleaceable front elements, while the reflex has fully interchangeable lenses. Even assuming that you can physically mount a Reflex lens on a II/III (I can't), do you mean that you can actually take pictures with that??!!

Ezio

Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 01:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After consulting the Holy Books (which I should have done before opening my big mouth): the first Retina Reflex model (Type 025) actually had the same interchangeable from lens elements as the II/IIIs, and this is clearly what Winfried has got (and congratulation for the wise buy). All subsequent Reflex models (not only the S) have completely different interchangeable lenses. So: if Craig has the "right" (that is, Type 025) Reflex, he should indeed be able to use his front elements - unless we all miss something. Winfried: you mentioned a leaflet showing how to use these on a Reflex. Could you possibly elaborate on that? It may be what Craig needs.

Jim Brokaw

Posted on Tuesday, May 04, 2004 - 09:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I didn't know about the very first Retina Reflex models having used the same lenses as designed for the IIIc/IIIC series. My info was wrong on that one... but I do know that some early Retina Reflex lenses included a semi-circular slot for a ramp (cam face) that engages a pin in the Retina IIIs and enables the rangefinder. Later Retina Reflex lenses did not include this ramp, so they will fit on the IIIs rangefinder body, but won't couple to the rangefinder mechanism... the pin just gets pushed in as there is not a slot nor cam/ramp to engage. Unfortunately I didn't know this until I had bought a lens, so then I had to buy a Retina Reflex (or two...) . I don't have any of the early Retina Reflex that can use the IIIc/IIIC lenses, though, just the later ones.

Winfried

Posted on Wednesday, May 05, 2004 - 11:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I finally found the Kodak Retina lens brochure (besides a few other things I forgot I ever had them...). It probably was printed in 1957 and does not mention any more specific Retina Reflex designator.

'The Retina Reflex uses the same tele lens as the Retina IIIc and IIc (Retina Longar Xenon C or Retina Heligon C f/4 80mm). A special wide angle lens was designed for the Retina Reflex (Retina Curtar Xenon C or Retina Heligon C f/4 35mm) which - by the way - is also suitable for the models IIc and IIIc.'

Original price of the Retina Reflex was DM 588 (approx. EUR/USD 300) which was more than a months pay then.

Katushka

Posted on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 01:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have 2 well-used retina reflex 4s. One has developed a tendency for shutter to not return. Other has tendency for film advance to get stuck. I have a great repair man, but service costs. Is there anything I can try to do at home, to see if I can fix either problem myself?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration