Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Electro 35GSN Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Yashica Electro 35GSN « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Eileen

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 06:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have just bought another 35GSN and although it is in good working order the battery cap was slightly corroded and would not activate the battery. It is definitely the cap, as I used the cap from my other GSN and it worked perfectly.
I immersed the cap in vinegar and then cleaned the corrosion off with very fine wet and dry paper. It still does not work. Any ideas please?

Jon Goodman

Posted on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 09:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Eileen. You might compare the two caps. There is a thin metal collar (for lack of a better word) that rings the inside of the cap. This thin ring provides the connection to the complete the circuit, and if missing the camera will either not work, or at best only work accidentally. In many cases where corrosion has been present, the collar/ring will be either missing or no longer capable of making a good enough contact. In cases where it is missing, I've found you can cut a piece of brass shim stock (thin sheet of brass, usually .002" to .004") or other thin metal into a circular shape and achieve success. Ideally, you can use an automotive "feeler gauge" of .002 to .004" if you have one...they are made from stainless steel and are quite long-lasting. The key is to cut the metal larger than the diameter of the battery so that it will press against the area where connection needs to be made when the cap is screwed down. (the battery is inserted first and the piece you've cut fits between it and the cap. Alternatively, if the collar/ring is still in place and not damaged, clean it with your wet/dry sandpaper also.

Jon

Eileen

Posted on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 02:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Jon once again for the info. The thin ring metal collar appears to be OK albeit a little out of shape, but if all else fails will try your remedy.
BTW thanks for the sample foam seal material.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Friday, May 07, 2004 - 03:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're welcome, Eileen! Hope all is well over your way, and good luck with the Yashica.
Jon

Eileen

Posted on Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 02:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gave it another clean and I got a good contact and the camera is now working. Today I will re-new all the seals with your seal kit. Many thanks.
Eileen

Jon Goodman

Posted on Saturday, May 08, 2004 - 09:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wunderbar! Another camera miracle wrought thanks to the internet. Hope it works well for you.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration