Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Shutter blades (voigtlander vito, com... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Shutter blades (voigtlander vito, compur lens) « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

sam styles

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 01:36 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I recently bought a 1949 voigtlander vito and when you looked through the lens at wide aperture it looked like one of the shutter blades was stuck inside the lens.
the camera took fine photos on f16 because of the small aperture, but I want to be able to use wider apertures.
I started dismantleing and got right down to the shutter blades and it was obvious that one was broken, probably from a previous repair attempt.
ive had a quick look around for somewhere to buy a shutter blade and havent really found much.
is there any parts place I can go to or will I have to get an old shutter assembly to use the bits from.
advice much appreciated,
regards
Sam Styles

www.sjsphotos.co.uk

David Nebenzahl

Posted on Sunday, May 09, 2004 - 02:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Your second guess is the correct one; so far as I know, there's no place you can order parts for these obsolete shutters. (By the way, Compur is the make of the shutter assembly only, not the lens.)

But it's very likely you can find a matching shutter, probably very cheaply, and cannibalize it for the blades and any other parts you may need. *Bay is one possible place to look.

Winfried

Posted on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 12:01 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The problem with the Vito folder cameras is to disassemble the lens. There has been a thread recently covering this issue.

S.J.Styles

Posted on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 03:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks people,
will keep an eye out for a donor shutter assembly. i found disassembling the lens was no problem. because mine is the older vito its straight forward. if im correct, the vito II is the difficult one with a snap on bit holding the lens to the bellows. the vito 1 has a screw thread. correct me if im wrong
your right about the lens, its a skopar lens, compur shutter. my mistake!
thanks again

Howard

Posted on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 07:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Sam,
I don't know if they are the same, but I have some shutter blades from a Synchro Compur shutter out of a Voigtlander Vitessa N. Winfried might know if these are interchangeable. If they are you are welcome to one of them. If you can do the research and let me know I'll post it off to you.
I know these cameras are about 10 or so years apart but this shutter has a 3.5/50 color skopar lens so they might be compatible.
Regards, Howard.

Sam Styles

Posted on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 08:44 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you very much for that offer. I'll have another look at the bits tonight and get back to you. Im sure mine is the same 3.5/50. I could photograph / scan / draw one of the unbroken blades and measure it. could you confirm with yours then?
I'd have to sort something out with you about the postage.

had a quick look round at lunch. By the looks of it the vitessa N is pretty different because of the barn door style front. not sure if this means the shutter etc is slightly different, but i see no reason why it should be. I know the compur on the vito I have is of the three bladed shutter variety and there are 5 bladed compur shutters if im correct. that would be the biggest difference i could envisage

cheers

Sam

Winfried

Posted on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 12:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Vito II has a between-the-lens-elements-shutter, while some 'rigid body' Voigtlaenders (such as the Vito B series) have a behind-the-lens shutter which must have a bigger diameter. So check out the arrangement of the shutter and its size (you can check the latter by measuring the inner diameter of the shutter retainer ring visible from inside the camera).

sam styles

Posted on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 01:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Its not a Vito II or a Vito B, only a standard Vito. the shutter is quite definatly between the lenses. You have to screw the inner lens off (which has a black metal cone surround) to get the shutter assembly off of the bellows.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration