Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon F1 & AE-1 Foam that cushions ... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Canon F1 & AE-1 Foam that cushions mirror « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kenneth Kendall

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 06:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Canon F1 (Bell & Howell) and a Canon AE-1. I am the original owner.

The problem I have with both of these cameras is the foam rubber (Plastic?) strip that cushions the mirror when it is in the up position has deteriotated and is falling off into the camera. it appears that it was some kind of adhesive strip. On the AE-1 I have removed most of the foam which leaves behind a very sticky-gummy residue.

I have also noticed that a similar foam if not identical material different widths- is in the same condition where the light seals are on the back of the cameras and around the back hinge.

These cameras are otherwise in very good to excellent condition and work fine. I would very much like to repair them or have them repaired by a real expert. Please provide me your recommendations. I am not using them until they are repaired as I am concerned with damaging the mirror. Also some of the gummy material has gotten on the focusing screen of the A-1 and will not come off with lens cleaner. What is this material and how can I clean/remove it. Is there a solvent that I should use and what about damage to the mirror.

Does Canon still service these cameras? I am located in Philadelphia.

I realize this is a long post but I have owned and used these cameras for many years and wish to keep on using them.
Thank You for your assistance

I have an A-1 which does not have this problem. The foam is not flaking off.

Steve

Posted on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 07:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Ken. There is a post below dated 4/28 titled "AE1 Light Seal replacement -How to help please" that has a lot of good info on this subject. Please check it out.
I have rplaced lightseals on a lot of cameras in the past also, including Canon models if you would like my assistance.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 08:13 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Ken. I'll volunteer, also. A $6 kit will include the foam you need to replace what is deteriorated in your camera...actually it will give you enough to re-do this one and about 5 more like it or similar to it (mirror damper as well as film door). To see the kit, please go to E-Bay and search "by seller". Enter my ID...Interslice...and you'll see the kits. Replacing the foam is not hard if you take your time, follow directions and use common sense. In fact, it becomes fun if approached in the proper frame of mind. Do not use any solvent near your focusing screen.

Jon

rick oleson

Posted on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 09:37 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Be patient with your A-1; it will develop the same problem in due course....

:)=

Ed

Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 05:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the viewfinder screen has deteriorated stuff from the shock pad, it can be safely removed using a Qtip lightly dipped in isopropyl alcohol--it will not affect the fresnel--be gentle of course.

joevincent

Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 03:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Canon F1 has non-responsive meter. Can anyone recommend a repair shop? Also may need the foam seals replaced. Thanks for your answers.
[email protected]

Jon Goodman

Posted on Friday, June 25, 2004 - 03:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Joe.
In what part of the country do you live? Also, have you done anything on your own to figure out the meter...clean the battery contacts, etc? As for the light seals, I would not pay anybody to replace them. A $6 kit and an hour or so of your time is all you need, and you can actually have some fun doing it. This time of year, a nice glass of iced tea might help. To see the kit, please go to E-Bay, search "by seller" and type in my ID...Interslice.

Jon

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration