Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Water damage! Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Water damage! « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jocelyn Morehead

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, May 10, 2004 - 02:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Friday I was at a festival when harsh rain and wind came through, causing even the main stage to collapse and several tents to fly away (including mine). I had my camera (D1H) with me and it got pretty wet. Basically, it won't turn on. I need help! I have been letting it dry with the batteries and card out. Does anyone know what I can do?

Martin

Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This is a little more modern and electronic than people here usually try to fix on our own. Basically, if your camera gets very wet never try to turn it on to see if it is still working. Immediately remove the batteries and towel off the camera. Once inside remove the lens, battery cover etc. and put the camera somewhere warn (not hot) and dry (e.g. an airing cupboard or a sunny window sill). Give the camera lots of time for any water to evaporate (a week or more depending upon how soaked the camera got) before trying to fit a new, good battery.

I'd guess that a camera as complicated as the D1H, however, is going to need proffessional help rather than any home fix.
Regards - Martin

Henry

Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 09:02 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As Martin indicated, you'll probably need to take it to a shop. Really the worse thing a person can do to a wet electronic camera is turn it on and see if it works. Kind of like suspecting water in your gas tank and starting it up to see if it'll run! Drain the tank first or you'll be sorry. I'm not harping on you, so don't take it personal. It has happened to all of us. For instance my son left one of my super electronic Canon EOS cameras and lens out in the rain ...ALL NIGHT. When I discovered it I immediately removed the batteries...without turning it on...and put the body in my film dryer for about four hours. Then did the same to the lens. Both of them today are still working great.

Most of the folks here are technically affluent enough to fix modern electronic cameras/lenses/camcorders/digital cameras...but we don't want to spend the money on the circuit diagrams (very necessary!) or the flex board fixtures (extremely necessary to keep from destroying the boards) for a one shot repair job.

Anyway, it is more fun in taking a mechanical camera apart, cleaning, massaging and adjusting/tweaking its components back to a functioning condition than it is to replace electronic modules. Again, similar to working on old vs new cars.

Henry

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration