Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Pentax Spotmatic F Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Pentax Spotmatic F « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Artur Ferrão

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 09:08 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello everybody!

I have a Pentax Spotmatic with an open aperture meetering lens and I'm having some troubles with it. I'm gona try to explain it the best I can, but it´s not easy for me to find the technique terms.
The meter is not moving when I move the aperture of the lens. It moves a metal piece in the camera that I think should be connected to the metering circuit, so I guess the problem could be in that connection. From f1.8 to f16 it stays exactly the same.
Here in Portugal it won't be aesy to find someone to repare this kind of camera.

I would like to know if I could use this lens as a stop down meetering lens. It is a open aperture meetering, but can I use it as a stop down?

I have a 28mm lens (stop down) that works perfectly.

Thanks for your time!

Artur Ferrão

Sam Styles

Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 11:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had a pentax ME that did something similar to this once. The little bar which sticks out of the lens (on pentax mount lenses) had become a little bent out of place and wasnt connecting with the necessary bit inside the camera.
I bent it back and it was fine.
Dont go bending it though if it looks straight! If its straight and connecting to the bit inside the camera it probably is a problem with the metering in the body.
There is a Spotmatic service manual here:
http://www.robertstech.com/files/spot_sm.pdf
which might be useful

Artur Ferrão

Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 03:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That connection seems to be good! At least by the strength it makes it seems to be ok. The problem is really with the metering, unfortunatly.

Thanks for the manual, I think it realy might be useful!

Don

Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 04:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Remove the lens & look on the back where you should see a small almost recessed pin. Push it in & turn the serrated lever near the rear to the right ( looking from behind). If you look to the left of the lever you'll now see "man" indicating sd metering. Push up the metering sw. ( it cuts out the dia. resistor behind the lens mt)& you should be able to meter SD. Offhand I'd say you have a problem w/the wiring to dia. resistor. Early versions of this model were known to have circuit problems
Don

Artur Ferrão

Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 08:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Don!
It's easy but I didn't know I could use it like that. I have the camera manual, but not the lens.
Just one more thing. By changing to SD metering the quality of the photos stays the same or is there any disadvantage?

Like I've said it's gona be realy difficult to find someone to solve me that problem. I could do it myself, but it's a big risk. If it works perfectly with the SD I guess I'll leave it this way, at least for now.

Don

Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No disadvantage other than the darkened screen you get w/SD metering. Iirc, Pentax had a 30+pg manual troubleshooting the SPf meter. Better to leave it alone unless you know what you're doing. A lot of good pics have been taken w/the older metering system.
Don

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration