Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica electro 35 film speed dial Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Yashica electro 35 film speed dial « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Henrik.Stenstrom

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 05:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dear All,

I've just bought a pre-loved GSN in realy great condition and fitted a
battery adapter. I have been able to ascertain that
everything is working to some extent. A test film will establish the rest.

I am wondering about the film speed dial, though. The outer dial can be rotated throughout 360 degrees and more, that is to say, there are neither high nor low end points. The 'iris' does not
respond to the outer dial setting. I suspect that the outer dial is not fastened properly to the adjusting shaft

Before removing the speed dial and checking further, I would very much value
any opinion or advice as to how to check the operation of the film speed dial.

Many thanks in advance for any help you may be able to give me and
thanks for your website.

Yours sincerely,

PS Also looking for a source of foam to replace light seals.

charlie stobbs

Posted on Tuesday, May 11, 2004 - 07:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Walmart sells a product called foamies in their crafts department that I have used to repair several cameras. I can't help with the other problem.

Winfried

Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 04:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When properly fastened, of course the film speed dial should affect the diaphragm in front of the meter cell. When set to the highest ASA value it should be completely open.

I think it would be the best to remove the snake-eyes screw holding the ASA dial and check what may be wrong. For further surveys you should remove the top cover, too.

Howard

Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 06:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I thought it was worth mentioning that the connection is purely by friction. there is no locating pin or anything. It might simply require you to set it correctly as per above and tighten the snake-eyes screw.
Good luck

Erin

Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 08:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

However when you tighten down the 'snake eye' screw, be careful only to exert the amount of pressure sufficient to hold the asa marked ring in place while the outer ring moves to select the rating. The snake eye has a very small, easy to break threaded portion. How do I know? All I will say is that it can be replaced quite easily if you have a small selection of camera screws with heads bigger than about 3/32, won't look as pretty tho!

Jon Goodman

Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 08:40 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, Henrik. For $6, I can send you a kit to replace the light seals (free ship in the USA, 80 cents to any other country). It contains top-quality materials + instructions and a little cleaning tool. To see it, please go to E-Bay and search "by seller." Enter my ID...Interslice...and there you go. There will be enough in the kit to easily re-seal 6 typical cameras.

Jon

Henrik

Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 07:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Many thanks for all replies.

I removed the speed selector dial and had a look underneath. There is a further black selector wheel with detents and a small ball bearing to hold the setting in position. On this "detent wheel" there is a small spigot which engages the speed selector dial. This spigot has broken off, hence the selector dial turns freely without effect.

So, does anyone have a parts camera who is willing to part with the "detent wheel"?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration