Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Coating function Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Coating function « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

edmundo

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 11:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not strictly a repair question, but form I have seen in this forum, I think there's enough knowledge to answer this: the coating on lenses is used to control internal reflections only, or it contributes to the overall colour balance, correcting/adjusting it to a neutral point ?

Winfried

Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The primary goal of coating actually was reducing internal reflections. A single layer coating will reduce reflections in a certain range of wavelengths of the light only, so the light transmission of single-coated lenses will not be even over the entire spectrum of light.

So manufacturers introduced techniques of giving different kind of coating to the single lens elements of a lens. Later multicoating was introduced which allows to control the color balance of a lens which might be disturbed not only due to the properties of a single-layer coating but also due to the properties of some optical glasses which also do not have even light transmission, i.e. in most cases they will give a yellowish tone. To compensate this, manufacturer use coatings which have slightly more reflection of the yellow part of the spectrum, thus compensating the absorbtion of blue light.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 12:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Edmundo, I think you've asked two questions that are connected. Internal reflections/flare will wreck many aspects of picture-taking (including, but not limited to: contrast, color balance, sharpness of detail, etc). So, maybe the right answer is..."Coating on lenses is used to control internal reflections. Minimizing reflections/flare will improve contrast and overall color balance."

Jon

edmundo

Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 01:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you both, I used to think that coating was only for reflective control... the answers were very clear and informative.

edmundo

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration