Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus 35 SP - getting at the lens. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Olympus 35 SP - getting at the lens. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

P P

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 10:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an Olympus 35 SP rangefinder that needs one of its internal lens elements cleaned, but am having some trouble getting to it.

I assume that disassembling the lens assembly on these involves removing the front of the lens ring (where it says "G Zuiko 42mm" etc.) and proceeding from there, but I can't figure out how to get it off. There is a slot cut into the edge of this ring, of the sort you put a spanner-wrench blade into, but the problem is that there's only one of these slots, and not the usual two.
I've tried putting a screwdriver into this slot and trying to rotate it from there, but with no luck. I can't see how a spanner wrench can work with just the one slot. Does anyone know what I should do?

Winfried

Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 11:57 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On most Oly35SP this ring is just glued into place. Try to lift it with a small screwdriver blade.

Jerry Thomas

Posted on Thursday, May 13, 2004 - 12:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On the front of the lens there is a black ring where the writing is. Towards the outside of the lens there is a narrow silver ring then a very narrow black ring. On that outer most black ring there are two small holes 180 degrees from each other. Those two holes are where the pin tool goes to unscrew that ring. Even though it looks like a ring,spacer and a ring it is in fact just one ring. Turn it counter clockwise. Its good if your filter threads are not dented or you will need to get that straightened out first. Next you will find two more slotted rings. The inner ring unscrews the front element where as the outer removes all the elements in a unit down to where the shutter is. I have not taken the front unit which holds the individual glass elements apart. I have only removed the front unit in whole to gain access to the shutter and iris. You will be able to clean the glass surfaces in the shutter chamber then. The rear of the front unit directly and the front of the rear unit carefully through the iris and shutter. Place the shutter on "B" and the iris on f/1.7. A locking cable release is helpful in keeping the shutter open. Use extream care. If you damage either the iris or the shutter you are in deep do do repair wise. I don't remember needing to remove any screws or control rings to get to the glass. To access the clockwork, thats a different story.

PP

Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 10:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On this 35SP, the outer black ring you mention only has a single slot, which is the one I've been trying to rotate without any luck.
I also tried prising off the ring in question with a screwdriver blade, but there's no where I could find to get sufficient purchase to prise it. Trying the slot actually bends the ring, the and blade just scratches the metal anywhere else.

Jerry Thomas

Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 10:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My first advise was based on the first SP I opened. It does have a threaded ring. Last night I opened another to blow some dust out from between the lens in the shutter area. I discovered that on this SP the ring, which looks almost the same, was glued down. How to tell them apart is the holes. On the threaded ring there are two holes as I described. On the glued ring their is only the one hole. To remove the glued ring, I fashionned a hook which I used to get in behind the ring. Then just pulled it up. It offered a little resistence but not all that much. The ring looks to be made of metal and is glued in with contact cement. The rubber cement allows one to pry it up at some future date so when you put it back don't use a permanent kind of glue. The ring holds nothing in, it is cosmetic. Only covers up a grove where the screws attaching the filter thread ring are located.

Azazello

Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 08:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have an sp with the single slot, the front part of the lens is very loose, which is why i need to open it, I can see the slot is not glued to the lens housing underneath. Is it glued to the silver housing at the front of the camera? (the part with the red dot.)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration