Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta film advance lever problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Minolta film advance lever problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Julie

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 07:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a Minolta XD 5 slr camera and the problem is the film advance lever--it is not as "snappy" as it once was (I have brand new batteries in the camera) and after repeated use the silver screw cap on thop of the film advance lever becomes loose. I have to retighten it/screw it down after approximately 10-12 advances of the film. The film still seems to advance properly, and each frame is ok after developing. Do you have any suggestions or answers? I dearly love this old camera.

Aaron

Posted on Sunday, May 16, 2004 - 08:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The silver cap is only an ornament and is not for holding the film advance lever in place. See if the screw on which this cap attaches is tight enough. If it is, then the silver cap can be kept in place with some finger nail varnish on the threads before putting back.

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 10:43 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, the silver cap on the advance lever is not just an ornament - it is supposed to be tight, as it holds the advance lever in place.
There could have been a washer between the cap and the lever, which allows the lever to move freely while the cap is tight.

The best way to fix the problem is to find the washer and replace it, if it proves to be impossible, than go the finger nail varnish route.

Good luck,

Jan

Aaron

Posted on Monday, May 17, 2004 - 08:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If an XD5 is similiar to an XD11, what I said should be correct. In have based my opinion on actual experience on an XD11. The brass screw under the silver cap is the thing holding the film advance lever. In my opinion the silver cap functions like a wheel cover of a car.

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Aaron is correct. The silver cap is actually a 'dust cover', which screws in over the shutter speed dial and the advance lever. It is still possible though, that there is a washer missing, which prevents the cap from being fully tightened.

Julie, what are you using to tighten the cap down? A rubber block or a piece of old inner tube will give you the best grip on the cap's flat surface. Maybe that is the problem - not tightening it enough?

Jan

Steve

Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 09:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Julie. The problem you may be having, which I have experienced with this camera, is that a spring located under the film advance lever may be out of position. On the XD models there is a coil spring that is located under the film advance lever that wraps around a brass nut. This bottom nut hold the top of the camera to the body. When the top silver nut loosened the spring most likely slipped out of position and is now getting jammed under the film advance lever. When you retighten the top nut it pinches this spring and this will cause the film advance to be sluggish and may not spring back at all if too tight, and will also cause the top nut to came loose again. The top silver "dust cover" is a 2-piece item which includes the silver cover that you see and a small, round brass nut with a couple notches in it. Sometimes these 2 pieces separate when you remove them and sometimes they stick together looking like one nut. You will have to take these completely off and wiggle the advance lever in order to re-align the spring. It is a rather tricky operation to get the spring back into the right position because it connects to the advance lever and the camera body and has to tuck into a small round slot around the bottom nut. I know this all sounds confusing but once you start working on it it should make sense.

Lu

Posted on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a minolta XD5 that I have had for many years and it had a cover case (leather) that fit around the camera and around the 45mm lens whle on the camera. This case has worn out and I would like to replace this case but am having trouble finding one. Any suggestions?????????
Lu

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration