Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta wont advance film Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Minolta wont advance film « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Thomas M. Pugel

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 07:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We have a Minolta X700 that will not advance the film. The film advance lever simply will not move. Does anyone know what could be the problem.
Thanks,
Tom Pugel

Michael Linn

Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2004 - 08:39 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Tom-

Let's narrow this down a bit by trying the following: with fresh batteries installed, turn the camera on, look in the viewfinder, and touch the release button. Do the LED's come on? If so do they stay on or go out when you depress the button fully?
Mike

Thomas M. Pugel

Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 08:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike,
The LEDs come on when I touch the release button then go out when I depress it fully.
Tom

Steve

Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 09:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Tom, the symptoms you describe commonly indicate that the shutter release capacitors have gone bad. The X-700 has 2 capacitors that control shutter operation that simply wear out over time, especially if you put the camera in storage and do not use it much. One is located under the bottom plate and is relatively easy to replace. The other one is located under the top cover below the rewind dial and is not so easy to replace. They both tend to go out and should both be replaced at the same time. There are a couple sellers on eBay that sell these on a regular basis or I can sell you a couple for $1.50 each.

Michael Linn

Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 09:20 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's usually the release capacitor, which is very easy to get to. Take off the bottom plate and look for it on the rewind end. It's usually an aluminum 4 volt 220uf which you can get just about anywhere. Try to read the value printed on it in case it is different. When you get a new one, just touch the leads to the leads of the suspect capacitor while attempting to fire the camera. If you have pressed the shutter button to the point where the diodes have gone out, you need to turn the camera off and back on. If it now releases, you've found the problem. Remember that capacitors have polarity, so you have to have it right when you test it and when you solder it in!

Thomas M. Pugel

Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 09:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mike,
I don't have the mechanical aptitude to risk making the replacements. I'll send it to arepair shop.
Thank you for your help.
Tom

Carl Evans

Posted on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 10:11 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe my x-700 may have the same problem, except there is no power, almost like the batteries are out.
I`ve replaced the batteries, still, shutter locked, no advance. Does this sound like the capacitor also, and where can I buy the capacitor. Radio shack maybe?

Garry

Posted on Friday, June 18, 2004 - 07:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There could be one of two causes to this problem. Either leaking capacitors or bad release magnet. We specialize in service and repair of 35mm SLR cameras and are certainly familiar with this particular problem. For more information visit our web site at www.garryscamera.com.

Garry,
www.garryscamera.com
[email protected]

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration