Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon FE viwefinder cleaning? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Nikon FE viwefinder cleaning? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Ricardo

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 04:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a old Nikon FE, but i would like to clean the internal viwefinder pentaprism. What an non expert can do to deal the problem?
Thank you to all for help me

rick oleson

Posted on Tuesday, May 18, 2004 - 07:22 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If I recall correctly, in the FE the focusing screen could be removed through the lens mount, by depressing a little latch at its front edge with your finger; once out, you can blow dust off the screen. Great caution must be exercised in blowing air on the prism itself, but this is not usually necessary (and in general I don't recommend doing it). Be careful not to scratch the screen or the mirror when putting the screen back in.

Any cleaning beyond this will require disassembly of the camera.

rick :)=

Haig Hovaness

Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 08:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Better yet, replace the screen with a brand-new Nikon B3 or K3 screen. You will need to make a 1/2 stop exposure compensation, but you will have a super-bright viewfinder image that is the equal of an FM3a for about $35.

Jim

Posted on Monday, July 19, 2004 - 10:03 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My hotshoe just fell off. Has anyone ever dismanteled the top and reattached it? Email me at j_sew@hotmail.com

jerry

Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 10:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

YES,
IN ORDER OF EASY TO HARD:
remove the screws all around the top.
remove leather on rewind knob.(tiny wood scraper)
unscrew CW the rewind nut with needle nose in the tiny holes and turn.

remove rewind knob , noting spring location.
dont remove shutter button ring.
do remove shutter speed knob 3 set screws then knob.
stop , no more on this object
last
remove the ASA components.
from the top down ,
start with rewind knob, hold inside end and
simply unscrew the this knob CW.
pull out shaft and barrel.

now the ASA is naked.
remove the spring brass clip by prying with tooth pick on spring , up and off.
now the 2 screws and stud screw (use needle pliers on the stud)
then you get to snap ring, remove this and all the rest. When last layer of ASA is gone the top pops off. Now you are really in trouble, hah !

PS: note the foam disendagration in front of viewer. RATS ! ( this topic discussed here)

There must be a way ? to replace it with out dumping this mess in to cam? Passivation has got to work.
just like hidding asbestos.
Something controlable. Viscous would be best as this would not wick and go to the wrong place.
my mind thinks of RTV but unsure.
RTV comes with out the ammonia now. says on tube.
safer version.
Prism must be protected before starting and viewer.

Last hint: anything you take off that you Know
you will forget in a week , then take Digital photos in macro mode, then you are good to go.

jerry

Posted on Thursday, May 05, 2005 - 10:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sorry , replace CW with CCW ( right hand treads)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration