Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Shutter cloth on canon ae1 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Shutter cloth on canon ae1 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sal

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, May 19, 2004 - 02:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello.
I noticed some spots on the shutter cloth on my canon AE1 program, i think is due to moisture. How can i clean this area.?

thaks.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 08:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Sal. Are these spots simply discoloration, or are they fungus or mold growths? In other words, are they raised above the surface of the cloth, or do they seem to be growing within the cloth?

Jon

Sal

Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 12:46 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Jon.
They seem to be groing within the cloth.

Thanks for your help.
Sal

Jon Goodman

Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 03:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, Sal...If it is mold or fungus, I would say your chances of eliminating it are not good. Killing fungus or mold in fabric generally requires complete saturation, and you can not do that with a cloth shutter unless you remove the whole thing from the camera. Vinegar is good to kill it, and it will not bleach the fabric. But again...you can't saturate the shutter cloth completely without ruining the camera. Mold is tough, and if you leave any part of the colony, it will return if given the right conditions and time. Was the camera stored for a long time in a humid environment (like a garage or outside storage building in Louisiana or Florida, maybe south Texas or someplace like that)? How did the moisture get inside the camera? If it is not mold or fungus, you can touch the spots up with a felt tip marker like a Sharpie or a Marks-A-Lot.
Jon

Aaron

Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 11:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had similar experience and I could remove them by alcohol in a Q-tip.

Sal

Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 06:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jon, Aaron thank you both for the information.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration