Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Nikon FTn Photomic Finder Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Nikon FTn Photomic Finder « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

David Ritchie

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 09:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have two of these finders with the same problem.Those of you familiar with this finder will recall that you lift a chrome ring on the top right of the finder and turn it to the desired film speed. I cannot lift the ring on either one and suspect that a little lighter fluid would help, but just where do you apply it?There are some screws on the side of the ring, and I wonder what happens if I loosen/remove them? Any experience?

M. Currie

Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 05:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you really sure that the rings won't come up? I have two of these also, and on both, the spring tension is very strong. You really have to pull hard to get them up, and they don't come up very far.

I've never disassembled that part, but I'm about to open up one of mine to try to see why the shutter speed display no longer quite agrees with the shutter speed, and if I discover anything more about the innards of the knob, I'll let you know.

David Ritchie

Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 07:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for your reply.I know that the springs are rather strong, and I have finally been able to lift one of them. Maybe the combination of stout spring and some old grease is the culprit. I would appreciate a followup after you have opened it up. I hesitate to just pour lighter fluid on it without knowing a little more.

M. Currie

Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 08:58 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry to say (or at least sorry on your behalf not mine) the fix on mine turned out to be dead simple and required no intrusion into the shutter speed knob. After a previous opening up for recalibration, I had put the wrong screw into the top - it was a little too long and bumped into the little plastic sector that shows the speeds. I just had to push on it to get it realigned.

I would hesitate to pour lighter fluid on, because it appears that the entire outer barrel lifts up, and I'm guessing that the stiffness is going to be down inside the barrel, not outside. And since the ASA dial lifts with the outside portion, I think wherever it releases may be pretty deep, so you'd have to really flood it to get it into the right place.

Here's a link that gives at least the basic procedure for opening up the head, if you ever need to get inside -- http://www.netaxs.com/~gwalpert/ -- No details on the part you're dealing with, though, so I hope someone else chimes in with better info.

If I had your problem I'd be inclined to try opening one of them up, since you have a second whole one for reference, but that depends a lot on whether your equipment is in collectible condition, or just for use. Both my heads are well worn, and show signs of prism rot, so I don't worry too much as long as they work. If I were doing this I think I might take a look at the bottom of the mechanism, where some screws are visible, and see if there's a way to open that up just enough to get some fluid in.

On the other hand, I think before doing anything I'd consider prying up on the barrel gently with a tape-wrapped screwdriver to see if I could get any movement at all, and if so, then just start pulling it up over and over again. After 50 or so repetitions, it might be limbered up enough.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration