Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

OM10 shutter problems Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » OM10 shutter problems « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jim

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 03:27 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey all! My OM10 seems to have a mind of its own when the shutter is released. It does not fire at the right speed in auto or when using the manual adapter. The shutter stays open for around one second before shutting. This does not seem to happen all of the time, just most. It's driving me nuts. This happens regardless if meter is on or not. Has anyone had or heard of this? Thanks!

rick oleson

Posted on Thursday, May 20, 2004 - 07:56 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Magnetically controlled shutters sometimes develop erratic behavior from either dirt on the electromagnet face, or a residual permanent magnetization that builds up. The first thing to try is cleaning the magnet surfaces. These are generally located under the floor of the mirror box. I've never done this on an OM10 that I can recall, so I can't tell you the easiest way to reach it.... in some Olympi the floor of the mirror box can be lifted out through the lens mount.

Also, of course, on AUTO the OM10 shutter will behave erratically if there is no film in the camera due to the OTF exposure control system trying to read light off the black pressure plate...

Jim

Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 10:38 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll give that a try. One other thing I noticed is that my OM10 seemed to function just fine with no film in it, both on auto and manual, so I decided to try some film. That's when it started to act up again. Could that have something to do with the OTF?
Thanks for your input!

rick oleson

Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hmmm, that seems odd....

Josh

Posted on Tuesday, May 16, 2006 - 02:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, just got an OM10 and whilst using it without film the winder jammed, this happend before so I took off the lens and the mirror had stopped half way open, I moved the mirror catch and then it seemed to work. But this time it wont un-jam, any advice?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration