Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Petri FT1000 Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Petri FT1000 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

r-brian

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 12:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A friend dropped off a Petri FT1000 for me to look at. She thought the self timer was jammed, its been like this for YEARS. After looking at it, I think the problem is the shutter release button is locked. Indications are that there is supposed to be a locking lever around the release button but it is missing. I would assume I should be able to unlock it by finding something to act as the lever. Has anyone had any experience with this camera? If I can't unlock it without taking the top cover off, what will I need to look for or do inside the top cover?

Jon Goodman

Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 12:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have one. In fact, I'm doing some work on it now, but I'm away from it. I'll take a look later and let you know.

Jon

Jon Goodman

Posted on Friday, May 21, 2004 - 08:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Petri FT1000 is a pretty interesting camera. The cover to the cocking lever is glued on. You might think it would be screwed on, but it isn't. You can remove it by twisting with a rubber pad, though. Underneath, the lever is held on by two screws and a wavy washer beneath a collar. The shutter speed dial is held by three set screws. One of mine was missing. It simply lifts up and off. I'd set the shutter speed to 1000, make a note to myself that I had done that and remove it. You may have to rock between 500 and 1000 to get one screw if yours has all three present. There are four case screws...two by the viewfinder and one on each end. Remove them. Remove the rewind crank and make a note of which ASA setting the meter is set for. Remove the three screws holding it on, and lift it off. The top will slide up and off. Be careful not to lose the center shaft of the shutter release button. It will happily fall out. Once inside, you'll see cleaning the viewfinder lens is easy. Two screws hold it in. Otherwise, there is nothing too tricky in the top area. A well made camera...no nonsense, basic and clean. The shutter release mechanism stays attached to the top. The shutter lock is simply a screw in a black rotating collar. Rotated clockwise until the mark is at about 8:00 locks the button, rotated counterclockwise until the mark is about at 4:00 unlocks it. I'd look here for the answer to why your button won't work. Once the top is off, you'll see the shutter release lever is a wide landing to the front and right of the shutter speed selector. That is about it. Good luck. If questions, I'll not glue the top knob down on mine for a day or so.

Jon

r-brian

Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 11:30 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jon

Thanks for all the good instructions. I hope I can unlock the shutter release without having to remove the top but if not it seems simple enough to do (famous last words). The problem with this camera is the switch around the shutter button is missing. Nothing to turn to unlock it. I am going to try to fashion something to fit around the release button to act as the switch. I only has to work one time to unlock it. Then the shutter button can be left unlocked.

Again, thanks for all the info. By the way, the cover on the cocking lever on this camera does unscrew.

Brian

Jon Goodman

Posted on Saturday, May 22, 2004 - 08:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Brian. Aha! Evidence somebody had been inside this camera before me and maybe stripped the threads on that cap, eh? Oh well, it worked just fine glued on. Please let me know how it goes. Removing the top is not a problem at all. I forgot to mention...tilt the camera top upside down and guide the camera back into it to avoid losing the center shaft of the shutter release button.

Jon

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration