Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

STILL can't open up Oly 35 SP lens. Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » STILL can't open up Oly 35 SP lens. « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

PParker

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 12:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wrote about a week ago complaining about the difficulties I'm having in getting the front ring off an Olympus 35 SP rangefinder's lens.
Even after taking the advice I got on board, I still can't remove the damn thing and am getting close to my wit's end.

The front ring of the lens does not have the traditional two spanner-wrench holes on opposite sides. Instead, there is just a single slot on the outer edge of the front ring (on the left hand side when facing the camera from the front, just outside the silver ring). I've tried putting a jewler's screwdriver in this hole and getting it to rotate, but it won't budge.

I'm inclined to agree with Winifred's asessment of the matter that the ring is glued down and needs to be prised off, but I can't work anything under the ring to pry. Maybe hooking a dental pick up underneath that slot would work, but I don't have such a tool. My attempts to prise at this slot with a small screwdriver and and to work said screwdriver under the ring elsewhere have done little more than scratch the finish.

Can anyone who's dealt with one of these things give me any idea as to what I'm doing wrong? Am I attacking the lens from the wrong side? I notice that the focussing ring is held on by a number of screws. Should I take this off and look underneath for anything (more screws etc.) That will get the lens assembly off the camera?

The reason I need to access the lens is to remove some fungus from the second (?) element, so obviously time is of the essence. Anything at all would be appreciated.

Winfried

Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 02:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are not attacking from the wrong side. However, if you just need to get to the blades, you can also go in from behind, but this requires more disassembly of the camera. Peel back the leatherette on the front, loosen the four screws of the front plate and lift it. Mind the slot for the galvanometer needle. The 35SP is pretty easy to disassemble. Now you can screw off the rear lens cell and clean the blades from behind.

PParker

Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 06:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Unfortunately, I need to get at the glass in front of the blades. I've half considered applying some sort of solvent to the front ring in an attempt to losen the glue of whatever holds it down, but don't dare.

Jerry Thomas

Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 09:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Repost:

My first advise was based on the first SP I opened. It does have a threaded ring. Last night I opened another to blow some dust out from between the lens in the shutter area. I discovered that on this SP the ring, which looks almost the same, was glued down. How to tell them apart is the holes. On the threaded ring there are two holes as I described. On the glued ring their is only the one hole. To remove the glued ring, I fashionned a hook which I used to get in behind the ring. Then just pulled it up. It offered a little resistence but not all that much. The ring looks to be made of metal and is glued in with contact cement. The rubber cement allows one to pry it up at some future date so when you put it back don't use a permanent kind of glue. The ring holds nothing in, it is cosmetic. Only covers up a grove where the screws attaching the filter thread ring are located.

Jim Brokaw

Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 11:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have found dental tools at the local flea markets, the tool sellers all seem to have the. Cost is about $1 to $2 each. These are used I think by the dentists first, but still very good for poking around things and cleaning in grooves, etc. The metal is very stiff, so you can get a good pull on things...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration