Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Werra Mat will not wind Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Werra Mat will not wind « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Roger Provins

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 09:23 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

The rotating wind only moves about half an inch before it comes up against solid resistance. Also the meter doesn't work. I've never opened one of these before so any suggestions of what/where to investigate first please?

Regards
Roger

Roger Provins

Posted on Sunday, May 23, 2004 - 11:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've found the problem with the exposure meter and fixed it so now I'm down the one problem :-)

Roger

Stuart Willis

Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 09:07 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Carefully remove the top-plate and one way or the other you will clearly see what is blocking the wind. Unscrew the eyepiece and remove it.
Use insulated pliers to remove the carry-strap lugs. Note the position of the thin plastic washers on the carry-strap screws - and don't lose them.

You can now lift of the top-plate.
Note that there are two plain washers on the shutter-release shaft. Make sure they are there before you replace the top-plate otherwise the shutter release stroke will be wrong and it won't work.

I would bet that the problem is in the enagagement of the film-wind lock - which you will see just forward of the shutter-release shaft. It is an engaged pawl in the cocking rack. It is probably stuck. If someone has forced the wind, it might even be burred a little.

Get back to me if you have any problems

Roger Provins

Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 09:46 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Stuart, your clear explanation inspired me to remove the top plate and have a look. No luck as all seemed ok with the pawl. Then I removed the viewfinder/meter module and found that one of the missing plastic finger grips for the speed change ring had migrated inside and was jamming the movement of the rack. A quick and easy fix. Now to re-glue that rogue grip! I must say, after doing many different camera repairs over the years, how easy and pleasant working on the Werra is.

Regards
Roger

Stuart Willis

Posted on Sunday, June 13, 2004 - 08:31 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good that you found the problem.
Your concluding sentence is largely true.
Access to the shutter/s can be a real problem on some samples. After 40 or so years the slotted ring retainer (inside the film frame and outside concentric on the lens rear element retaining ring) can be rock-solid immoveable due to galvanic corrosion. That dissimilar metals aspect is about the only flaw on the Werras - mostly on Werramatics.

Best

Stuart Willis
[email protected]

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration