Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus 35RD shutter problem Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Olympus 35RD shutter problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Daniel Tan

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 05:27 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've got an Olympus 35RD which refuses to wind on. I was told the shutter is sticky; and it looks to be, but the wind lever refuses to wind. I assume that the shutter has already been fired, and the blades stuck whilst trying to open. The shutter release button moves up and down freely with it's own weight.
Is my assumtion correct? I need to free the shutter in order to cycle the film advance lever?

Additionally, does anyone have/know where I can get a Olympus 35RD repair manual or exploded parts diagram?

Daniel Tan

Winfried

Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 01:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am not sure about that on the 35RD but on most cameras the shutter has to cycle properly to free the advance lever again.

The 35RD is build quite straightforward. Only problem is the front lens cell which sometimes is awfully tightened. To get to the grooves on the bottom of the lens cell you have to remove the speed dial. You should set it to one of the extreme positions (maybe it is not moving lightly when the shutter is not fired correctly, in this case leave it as it is), and prior to disassembling you should mark the position of the rack on the inner circumference of the speed dial relative to the tiny cog wheel. Also, mind a tiny steel ball providing the click stops of the speed dial.

Daniel Tan

Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 02:52 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for that
I've managed to free the shutter and it seems to be working quite well. Just for fun, I dropped in a high drain 376 silver battery to see if the meter is operative. When the aperture is set to A & the shutter half depressed, the needle in the viewfinder will move all the way to the left red zone and stay there. The shutter cannot be released - it feels like there is physically something blocking it. Any ideas?

Winfried

Posted on Tuesday, May 25, 2004 - 06:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The 35RD has an under/overexposure lock that prevents the shutter button from being pressed completely when the meter is out of range. The needle you see in the viewfinder is NOT the galvanometer needle. It is rather coupled to the aperture setting mechanism. If the meter is out of range, i.e. in zero position or at the high end of the range, the indicator needle will go to the red area, and the shutter release will be blocked.

So first you should make sure that the light you are pointing at is not too strong for the given speed setting.

Only way to tell whether the meter is operative or not is to remove the bottom plate, insert a battery, connect the (+) terminal somehow to the case (the battery cover which usually makes this contact comes off with the bottom plate) and watch the galvanometer needle which is also close to the bottom plate. I did not encounter this on a 35RD yet but I think they are just as prone to battery wire corrosion as any other camera running on mercury cells.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration