Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Kiev 4 shutter drive Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Kiev 4 shutter drive « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Peter Wallage

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 11:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi all,

I've got a problem with a Kiev 4 shutter drive. Let me give the symptoms: The wind-on knob is jammed solid unlesss the shutter release is pressed. Then it will wind, but only takes the film sprockets round. The shutter, which is in the uncocked position, does not move.

So far, I've stripped the camera, taken the whole shutter crate out and removed the front light shield and the cover over the top roller.

As far as I can see, the drive for the shutter is: Large gear under the wind knob drives an idler gear which drives a spur gear at the top of a sleeve concentric with the film sprockets. The bottom part of the sleeve carries a bevel gear, and the mating bevel gear(horizontal) takes the drive through the wall of the shutter crate to a small spur gear. This engages with a spur gear on the end of the top roller shaft to cock the shutter. Also engaging with the top roller gear is a larger gear to drive the slow speed escapement.

I assume that the large gear under the wind knob, the first in the gear train, should turn with the wind knob, but it doesn't when the release button is pressed down, so I'm assuming there's some sort of clutch?. The spigot for the speed selection is fine.

I can't find anything obviously jamming the gear train or the escapement, and can't see any bent or broken gear teeth. I thought at first that a broken shutter tape might be jamming things, but both tapes seem fine.

I'm reluctant to strip the gearing out any further without some sort of schematic diagram of the various gear trains and the shutter sequence, and possibly a little guidance as to what is screwed or pinned to what, and if there's a particular order of disassembly.

Has anyone tackled a similar symptom on a Kiev 4, or has anyone got a schematic of the gear trains and shutter rollers? The answer may be in Maizenberg's book, but I haven't got a copy. They seem very hard to find.

Any help would be much appreciated as I also have a Kiev 4a (no light meter) waiting for attention with the same symptom.
Thanks.

Peter

Jim McCabe

Posted on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 04:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Peter
I can't help withyour problem directly but the following site has a lot of info on Contax and Kiev shutters. http://www.sdash.plus.com/

Maizenberg copies (not originals) are available from www.photbooksonline.com $35 + about $26 p&p. You have to email them for details. Have not got my copy yet. Will post again on quality when I receive it.

Mark Pearce

Posted on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 08:45 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check the film advance/shutter interlock. This is a litle hook and spring assembly at about 5:30:o'clock just behind the wind knob as viewed from the top. This often this gets gummed up, the little spring sliped it's stud, or the spring gets lost/broken.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration