Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Rollei 35B Selenium light meter not w... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Rollei 35B Selenium light meter not working « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Doug L

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, May 24, 2004 - 09:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Rollei 35B is in excellent condition, takes great pictures, but the light meter has stopped working. Can't see the needle movement anymore. Can anyone make any suggestions whether this can be repaired? Thanks.

Gregor Lasser

Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 01:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello!
Forgive me if you already know that, but I had the same problem myself, then I found out that this beast has a hidden battery!
It is hidden under a slotted screw cap in the film compartment.
If this didn't solve your problem, I would open the upper cover and use my electronic multimeter to check the cadmium sulphide cell and the meter; but I don't know if you are familiar with electronic test-equipment.
Regards from Vienna
Gregor

Jim Brokaw

Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 11:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rollei 35B is special in that it has a selenium meter instead of the CdS meter of the 'original' Rollei 35. I suppose the meter is not working for the same reason selenium meters seem to fail in most cameras that have them... the selenium cell apparently can 'wear out' with age and continued exposure to light, they can also fail due to connections gone bad or the meter movement could be gummed up, or a wire could have come loose somewhere. A while back I think there was some discussion of sources for new selenium cells of various sizes, as well as the substituting of 'solar' cells instead (the kind used to make electric power from sunlight, a photovoltaic silicon cell). In addition to the meter the 35B has a different shutter I think, and is probably different inside, but I've not gone into mine (yet).

Winfried

Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 06:33 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a guy on german ebay still selling spare parts from new old stock for Rollei35s, including B35 light meters. He recently cleared his stock selling 30 light meter units for EUR 150, I wonder if he will sell them still in the future.

A.R. Yue

Posted on Thursday, June 10, 2004 - 05:14 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The B35 and 35B do not have a hidden battery. A selenium meter doesn't need one. It's common for them to fail.

As mentioned, I hope you have a loose wire, corroded contacts somewhere or a gummed up meter. If not, just use it as a C35.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration