Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus Pen FT Chipped Finder Frame Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Olympus Pen FT Chipped Finder Frame « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

James S

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 09:09 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Olympus Pen FT has a badly chipped black frame around the finder. I'm not sure if it can be fixed with a bakable plastic or whether it's better just to cleanly file it down and polish it.

If anyone out there has suggestions or wants to sell this part to me please let me know!

miles

Posted on Wednesday, May 26, 2004 - 01:39 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A reproduction part is available. See the following page on Rick Oleson’s site which on can link to off the article section of this site.

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-149.html

rick oleson

Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 07:05 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The replacement is worth the investment; I've tried a couple of different approaches to repairing the original part and it can be done, but the replacement is less work for a better result.

The CAUSE of this very common problem, by the way, was the slip-in flash shoe accessory that Olympus sold for the Pen F series. Even with no flash in it, it overstressed the eyepiece and cracked it from the constant pressure of the friction springs in the slots. If you have one of these accessories on a good Pen, REMOVE IT from the camera before another casualty occurs.

Kind of funny that Maitani, for all his genius, didn't learn much from this lesson: the removable shoes are the weak spot in the OM1/2 design as well, due to a similar inappropriate design for a plastic part.

rick :)=

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration