Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Electro 35 GS with stuck shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Yashica Electro 35 GS with stuck shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Esfandiar Vahida

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 09:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I bought a Yashica Electro 35 GS rangefinder and everything looks fine except, crucially, for the shutter release. I would like to save it if possible.
The battery compartment is clean, the exposure and battery test lights all work, but when I press the shutter release button, I only hear a soft "click" (no shake) and the shutter blades don't move.
This may be related to the main problem: the clockwork timer moves on about 1/10th of its course.
I can also see a piece of rubber (or foam?) behind the viewer's window, but I have not opened the camera to check whether this has anything to do with the well documented problem with the rubber pad of Yashica 35 cameras.
Thank you for your diagnosis.

Regards,

Esfandiar

Jon Goodman

Posted on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 07:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Esfandiar. I think your shutter problem may be connected to your self-timer problem. Will the self-timer return all the way to its starting position? If the answer is no, it may be keeping your shutter from operating normally. The piece of foam you see in the viewfinder is not likely to be connected with your shutter release button. There is a small piece of foam that separates the red and yellow light. This could be that piece which has become detached and has slid over and down.

Jon

Esfandiar Vahida

Posted on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 09:06 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi jon,

Thanks for the explanation. The self timer lever/red button stops after running for approximatively 4 mm from the lower end of its normal course (i.e., if I push it from where it is stuck -- 4 mm from the end of the course-- it slowly crawls back to that point and does not go back all the way to where it should, I guess, normally stop, near the top of the lens barrel).

[Now that you mention the connection between the self timer and the shutter, I remember that I bought a Yashica YL on a fleamarket under heavy rain a few months ago which had water even inside the lens and everything was stuck, but once it dried and I played with the buttons a bit -- in a movie theatre, but the movie was not very interesting--, the self timer was first to work and it was as if this freed the shutter (but I never opened it to see how).]

Would you say that the problem is likely to be solved by someone like me with not much experience of handling tiny camera screws?
Thank you again.

Esfandiar

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration