Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Minolta XG-7 lenses... New camera? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Minolta XG-7 lenses... New camera? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Sean

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 01:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, I have a question, and this one will make you guys back a few years. I have a Minolta XG-7 camera that I got handed down from my dad. He has many old lenses that long with the camera are still in great shape. I want to know if I can use these lenses on a new or semi new camera? OR is there some kind of adaptor that I can use on a new camera to use these lenses? What do you guys/girls think about this idea, should I upgraded the lenses also(if I even can use them)?
Thanks a lot ~SEAN

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 07:05 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sean,

You are not telling us what lenses you have. If they are original Minolta lenses, they are definitely worth holding onto. Superb quality and worth very little in today's auto everything world.

The lenses will fit ANY an ALL Manual Focusing Minolta bodies and cannot be adapted to fit anything else. The XG-7 dates to the early 1970's and can be improved upon, but not much. The only Minolta body with more features would be the XD-11. After these models, Minolta bodies started using more and more plastic.

If your XG-7 works, keep it and use it.

Good luck,

Jan

Sean

Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 08:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well I have 3 lenses, and a 2x Matched Multiplier.

Here is the list, they all have the original manuals, so I can be sure of what I have:

VIVITAR 2X Matched Multiplier
for Vivitar 70-150mm f3.8 Close Focusing Zoom Lens

VIVITAR 70mm-150mm f3.8
Close-Focusing
Automatic Fixed Mount

Minolta ROKKOR-X Lenses 50mm

Albinar ADG 28mm macro focus

So anyways I know I have quite a nice set up, but I am looking to upgrade a little, thinking that it would clear up the photos. Or do you think that its just me, and that this camera can take photos just as good as a new $400 digital?

THANKS for any and all help!

Jim Brokaw

Posted on Thursday, May 27, 2004 - 11:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think with the lenses you have you can take very good pictures, certainly better than a new $400 digital. I think you would need about a $1000 digital SLR to challenge the ability of the XG-7 and lenses you have.

I like the original Minolta manufactured lenses. The Vivitar zoom lens is a good one, but I am not familiar with the Albinar except to know the name. I think it is not as desirable as the original Minolta or Vivitar lenses, but maybe it can take very good pictures.

With a 75-150 zoom, a 50 normal lens, and a 28mm wide angle you have a nice range of view for starters. If you want to upgrade you might look for a nice Minolta made 28mm, or keep the Albinar and add a Minolta 24mm or 35mm focal length. You can also find the Minolta 200mm quite affordable, if you want to get a longer reach without the dark viewfinder of the zoom lens with multiplier (which will be about f6.3 with multiplier).

Winfried

Posted on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 12:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

AFAIK there are no cameras with the Minolta MD mount in current production, except for the Seaguall DF300.

All Minolta MC and MD lenses will work with any manual focussing Minolta SLR. Maybe some features added on the last models (such as program controlled AE) will not work correctly, but open aperture metering and auto-exposure with shutter speed priority will work.

Sean

Posted on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 10:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks a bunch guys. It looks like I will just stay with the XG-7 and get to know and love it more.

I am mostly interested in taking quick action sports photos with high zoom. I noticed that when I put the 2X onto the 75-150mm that the focus circle goes black on 1/2. What’s the reason for this, and is there anyways to get around it? New/different lens?

Sean

Posted on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48554&item=3818229858&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48554&item=3818476728&rd=1

Sorry I have to post again, I was looking at ebay, and found some High Zoom lenses. Would these work on my XG-7 camera? Would it also have the 1/2 black circle focus?

Thanks again

Winfried

Posted on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 01:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

These lenses will probably fit on your Minolta, but I have heard anything but good opinions on these Super-Tele-Zooms. They have a fixed aperture only (i.e. the aperture value varies with focal length setting but you can't change it), and their optical qualities seem to be mediocre at best.

I think you'd better go buying one of the f/8 500mm tele lenses of far east origin. Usually they come with a T2 mount. You will need a T2-Minolta MC adaptor to mount them to your XG7. These lenses have a preset aperture mechanism only (no open aperture metering possible).

On all tele lenses the split image indicator does not work correctly. Some SLRs have interchangeable focussing screens - a pure ground glass works better for tele lenses.

Winfried

Posted on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 01:31 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just see that the second item you mentioned probably is one of the 500mm lenses I was referring to (it comes with the correct mount for your camera). The price seems acceptable, although they can be bought on the used equipment market for close to nothing.

Sean

Posted on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 08:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you very much for your help. I think you have answered all of my questions. Have a great day.

Sean

Posted on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 08:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well sorry, one more. Where would I find that 2nd 50mm lense used?

Jim Brokaw

Posted on Friday, May 28, 2004 - 11:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

eBay is a big source for older lenses, such as Minolta MC or MD mount, which is what will fit your XD-7 camera body. With patience and careful buying you can get good lenses for not too much money. Remember that it is very much 'buyer beware' so do diligent inspection of any auction pictures, email the seller with some questions, and don't spend too much money in a hurry. I have bought many lenses from eBay, but I always 'watch' a few auctions without bidding, to get a feel for what the appropriate price range should be. I also find good lenses for older cameras at pawn shops and the few local camera stores with a (limited) selection of used equipment. The good thing about these sources is that you can inspect and try them on your camera body before buying.

The split-image focus aid goes dark in one half because the aperture of the lens becomes too small to admit enough light for that feature to work. Split-image focus aids usually only work to about f4.5 to f5.6, sometimes this varys by lens focal length and screen type. This will be a problem when you use the 2x multiplier, because of the way these multipliers work they must cause a light loss equal to two f-stops on the lens aperture (just like turning the ring down two stops)a trade off for the magnification. I don't know if the XD-7 has interchangeable focus screens, but if not you will have to focus using the other area of the screen instead of the split-image part.

The telephoto lenses you can buy for sports shooting will be slower than the split image can work with also, unless you spend a -lot- of money (hundreds of $$ usually). I would look for a low-cost mirror lens, either a 300mm f5.6 or a 500mm f8 (although I think f8 is too slow really). These are more compact and lighter than a 'conventional' design telephoto of comparable focal length, so they are easier to aim and follow fast-moving subjects like sports (except baseball...) with. The biggest downside to them is that bright out-of-focus spots will look like donuts instead of just bright fuzzy dots...

Winfried

Posted on Saturday, May 29, 2004 - 03:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I totally agree with Jim. Manual focussing lenses for any older SLR can be bought for ridicolous prices now in the age of digicams (except for some gems, such as original Nikon or Canon FD lenses). I think today the original Minolta MD lenses are quite affordable, usually the manufacturer's lenses are the best you can get (there are a few, but only a few exceptions from third-party manufacturers). I have heard that Minolta lenses in general are not of such a consistent performance like Canon or Nikon lenses, but none of them seems to be really bad.

Steve

Posted on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 09:21 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sean, if you looking for a long zoom at a good price, search eBay for a Samyang 100-500mm zoom. You can usually get this lens for under $100.00 and the quality is not bad. 50mm/ 2.0 or 1.7 lenses are very common on ebay, usually going for under $20.00 (I can sell you one for $20.00 if you want and will guarantee it). I didn't notice if anyone answered your original questions. You can definitely get a better model Minolta body than an XG-7. The XG bodies were not Minolta's best line of cameras. An X-700/X-570, XD-7/XD-11, or an XE-7/XE would be Minolta's better cameras. These are all manual focus cameras that you can use your lenses on. If you went auto-focus you would have to get an AF/MD adapter to use your lenses but it would not be worth the hassel. Name brand lenses are definitely the best. Minolta lenses are very high quality, some even better than any comparable Nikon or Canon. If you do buy new lenses for your camera spend the extra money and buy Minolta brand lenses.

JB

Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 02:09 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just got Vivitar lens that used to be used on a Minolta XG-7, but I need an adapter so I can use it on my Fujica STX-1, which has the Fujica x-mount. Where can I get an adapter to use the Minolta-mount lens with my Fujica camera?

I do already have an adapter that I use to mount Pentax screw mount lenses on my Fujica, so would it possible to get an adapter that converts the Minolta mount to the Pentax, and then piggyback the two adapters? Or is that not a good idea?

JB

Posted on Tuesday, July 13, 2004 - 02:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, I just realize that my post is in the wrong place -- I came this page through a google search, so I didn't see the full thread arrangement for this site until now.

BOB

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 07:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I have a minolta xg 1 and the shutter activates when i use the film advacce lever and dosn't activate when i push the button??? it is wierd, do you think it is worth geting it repaired?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration