Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Top plate removal on Nikon EM Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Top plate removal on Nikon EM « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

John Schroeder

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 03:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey experts;
I aquired a very nice Nikon EM. The camera functions fine except that the shutter speed needle is stuck. It can be freed up with a solid jar to the body but it eventually sticks again. How do I remove the top plate of the camera so I can clean and free up this needle? I can't figure out how the film advance lever is removed.

John Schroeder

Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 04:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It also appears that removing the focusing screen might allow access to the needle. If so, how is this done? Whis is the proper way to go about this?

Haig Hovaness

Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 05:43 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The metal collar around the shutter release button must be unscrewed. First you have to undo a tiny setscrew on the side of the collar to unlock it, then you have to unscrew the collar CLOCKWISE. It is threaded the reverse of standard screw threads. If the collar is very tight, try using a hose clamp with tape protecting the collar from scratching. The meter mechanism must be accessed from the top of the camera.

Note that the meter needle is just an indicator in the EM, and you still may be getting accurate automatic exposure settings even if the needle isn't moving. I've got several scrapped EM bodies, if you need a replacement for the galvanometer.

John Schroeder

Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 06:07 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is no set screw visible. Is it hidden by something?

Haig Hovaness

Posted on Sunday, May 30, 2004 - 09:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, I forgot that the screw is not in the collar. The screw is in the edge of the rewind lever on the side facing the prism. You need to look at the circular front part of the lever, under the collar near the shutter release. The set screw is very small and finished in black, so you need to look carefully.

John Schroeder

Posted on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 12:15 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I've figured it out. The advance lever is made up of an upper and lower portion. The upper is reverse thread and holds the lower portion in place. The lower portion has the thumb leaver attached to it. I just needed to get a little more torque on it to free it up. The bad news is I can't access the needle through the top plate. At least not in a way that the camera will function when I'm finished. I guess it's time to order a repair manual.

Haig Hovaness

Posted on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 05:53 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good EM bodies can be had on eBay for around $50. A repair manual will cost you $20, and isolating the problem may take quite a bit of work. If you need spare parts let me know, I have several junked EMs.

Roland F. Harriston

Posted on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 06:13 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know if this situation applies to the Nikon EM:

On most meter movements, there are two
plastic "bumpers" on each end of the meter vane travel. Quite often these bumpers deteriorate over the years and become soft and "soggy".
This deterioration is very much like the deterioration of light seal material. When the meter vane or "needle" comes in contact with one of these soggy, spongy bumpers, it tends to stick to the bumper.

Often, a slight tap on the top or side of the camera will free the vane, and the meter operates properly.

The bumpers can be replaced, but it involves a lot of work on most modern cameras.

I have this problem on several Mamiya 35mm SLR's, and rather than go into the cameras or send them off to Essex Camera Repair or some other very reputable repair house, I just give the camera a little bump with the palm of my hand whenever the meter sticks.

Of course, if the vane is hanging up somewhere between its two extremes of travel, then there is obviously another problem.

HTH

Roland F. Harriston

rick oleson

Posted on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 10:14 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The focusing screen can be removed through the lens mount, by removing the one flat head screw at the top center just above the screen.

:)=

John Schroeder

Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 09:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah, the famous Rick Oleson! Did you know you were famous? I am honored. You told me exactly what I needed to know, thank you.

john murphy

Posted on Sunday, January 15, 2006 - 05:26 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i have an em that has a broken rewind lever.how do you remove it from the body for replacement.is it made in two parts?do you have a replacement available?thanks in advance.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Monday, January 16, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello, John.
To remove it, open the film door, block the film fork with a chopstick or piece of wood, screwdriver blade, etc and unscrew it. I might have a replacement, however it would not be original. Most of the original ones broke (the plastic broke, that is), and I do not think the part is still available from Nikon.
If you want a non-original replacement, please e:mail me at [email protected]. If you must have an original, you may have to find another body with a good one.

Jon

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration