Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Petri FT1000, the saga continues Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Petri FT1000, the saga continues « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

r-brian

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, May 31, 2004 - 09:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jon and anybody else out there,

I got the top plate off without any problems. The shutter release definitely looks stuck, probably with the timer switch. Also got the bottom plate off. Still cannot get to the timer. Peeled the leatherette off the front and exposed the front plate over the timer switch.

How does it come off? There are two screws on the bottom. Got them out but the plate it under the lens mount housing and the trim along the top. Suggestions and advice.

Brian

Jon Goodman

Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 08:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Brian.
I don't know. I've not had a blink's worth of trouble with the self-timer in mine. Before reading your note, I would have said to do just what you did...evidently that didn't work, eh? Does the self-timer work? I mean, will it run to the end and try to trip the shutter?

Jon

r-brian

Posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2004 - 09:47 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jon

Thanks for responding.
The timer will cycle but seems to stop just short of tripping the shutter. The shutter release is tight, no play at all when you try and depress it. And by the way, the plunger in the top plate has a retaining ring to keep it from falling out. This is the first camera I've ever tried to repair so I'm pretty much flying blind. After getting a $125 quote for a CLA on a large format shutter, I decided I needed to learn camera repair.
I'll see if I can look at that plate again when I have the time.

Brian

Jon Goodman

Posted on Wednesday, June 02, 2004 - 08:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Brian. I'm glad to hear you're interested in learning about camera repair. Fortunately for you (and us all) there are excellent resources like this forum, Rick Oleson's website and others on the internet. Yes, the plunger does have a retaining ring on it...as I recall, the entire shutter release button assembly is more or less a joined unit with the top. I'm now wondering if the self-timer can not release the shutter because of some jam in the release mechanism. The self-timer is generally an escape mechanism that runs through its cycle and either a cam lobe or a short rod activated by a cam lobe pushes down to simulate manual activation of the shutter release. The cam lobe is designed so that it resets itself at the end of its travel...a picture would be helpful here. Imagine climbing to the top of some stairs only to fall to the ground after reaching the top. I will try to take the bottom plate off of mine at home and see if I can see anything that might cause this to hang up. These are actually good cameras, but you don't see them mentioned in repair forums too often, so there is not a deep pool of knowledge about them.

Jon

Fraser

Posted on Tuesday, June 15, 2004 - 09:00 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After seeing my Petri 7S the deacon of my church gave me a Petri Prest, seems that he bought it new in '62 and used it twice. "Too complicated" Anyway, he gave it to me,after 40+ years of sitting the shutter seems frozen, won't fire. Self timer works but can't fire shutter. $60 an hour at shop, can I unseize it myself and how? The camera looks brand new and I would love to see it in action again. Thank You.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration