Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canonet GIII QL17 - Intermittent wind... Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Canonet GIII QL17 - Intermittent winder problem « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Treve

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 06:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi guys!

OK, so I managed to calibrate my meter to use SR44 batteries.

Did this by removing the frame-counter mechanism, loosening off the screw that holds the galvanometer in place and then rotating the galvanometer so that the needle points to the correct aperture for the selected shutter speed (thanks for the instructions Winfried!).

Ever since I replaced the frame-counter mechanism, the camera has developed an intermittent fault whereby it is possible to keep on winding on to the next frame without pressing the shutter release. It is possible to wind through the whole film without taking a single shot! Somehow, the mechanism that prevents the winder lever from being turned again until a shot is taken has stopped working.

The shutter is getting cocked and the red/white flag correctly indicates this.

Interestingly, this fault does not seem to happen when the camera top-cap is off - only when I replace the top-cap. But that could just be a coincidence.

Can anyone think what I have done to this camera since removing and replacing the frame counter mechanism (which came out as single unit with no separate pieces)?

Thanks for your advice.
Treve

Winfried

Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 07:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As I mentioned, some parts of the QL17 are quite complicated. They integrated a mechanism which does NOT block the advance lever as long as the frame counter does not reach #1. Check for a cam linked to the frame counter dial which pushes back a certain lever which should prevent double advancing - it's located somewhere under the frame counter dial, and try to rebend it.

Tom

Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 09:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Treve,
i too have problem with wind lock not operating and followed thread in this web site and opened up front of camera on shutter release side. Finally determined that there is a sliding bar at bottom that is supposed to engage a pin on wind lock lever to push another lever to prevent rewinding until after shutter is tripped. See no possible way to bend to fix, and am trying to determine if I should try to dismantel more to access this bar and adjust. Might be easier to just live with it and remember to only advance film just before taking picture.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration