Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Yashica Lynx 14 shutter Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Yashica Lynx 14 shutter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Jon Flanders

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 04:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any thoughts on where to start with a shutter that doesn't move on a Yashica Lynx 14?

Just got the camera off EBay, it looks worth saving.

Jon Flanders

Jon Goodman

Posted on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 07:19 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Jon.
I believe I'd carefully remove the front and central lens element and put a drop or two of naphtha (Ronsonol cigarette lighter fluid is the same thing) on the blades. Then try the shutter and see if it works. If it does, keep working until the naphtha dries, let it sit an hour or two and try again. If all is right, clean the inside surface of the rear element (hold the shutter blades open by using "B" shutter mode), and re-assemble.

Jon

Jon Flanders

Posted on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 05:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How difficult is it to remove the front lens element? Or perhaps I should ask, how difficult is it to put things back together again?

Thanks,

Jon Flanders

Tom

Posted on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 05:37 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jon,
I too just finished complete rebuilds of 2 Lynx 14E 1C's that I bought on Ebay and advertised as non-working. The one with shutter jammed, would not settle for just light Ronsinol cleaning. Finally, by making several tools using putty knives, I totally removed shutter asssembly and thoroughly doused and dried over several days. Works perfectly now. Not that scarey a job. Just be careful with resistor strips for meter. If you do this, you can also disassemble lenses and clean them while you are at it. Be sure to set infinity focus again upon completion using methods described in this web site.

Haig Hovaness

Posted on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 06:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I suggest trying the solvent treatment to try to revive the shutter. The lens on the Lynx 14 is surprisingly good. Make sure that the rangefinder is aligned to get the most out of the optics.

Jon Goodman

Posted on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 09:33 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi, Jon. It isn't really that difficult. There are some very good articles on this website, in fact. The front element is held in place with a retaining ring that screws out. Ideally, you should use a slot blade spanner, but with the big lens in the Lynx 14, you can often get it started with a fingernail. It has been a couple of years since I was inside one, but I believe the central element screws out in much the same fashion...you'll see when you get inside. I'd suggest reading some of the repair articles here first...they are well written, and some even give tips on how to make tools.

Jon

Jon Flanders

Posted on Saturday, June 12, 2004 - 09:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks for the information. I will see what I can do. I notice some what look like lines on the shutter blades

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration