Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Effect of scratches on front element? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Effect of scratches on front element? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

bob stanton

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, June 03, 2004 - 10:18 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am considering buy a canon 600mm 4.0 but it has a few light scratches on the front element. the owner claims no impact on images, but i am wondering if he is right. also, is it possible to replace the front element on lens like this? it is about 9 years old and in otherwise great shape, and the price is low.

Winfried

Posted on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 02:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Scratches on lens elements mainly affect the price. Maybe the Canon service would be able to swap the front elements but I am afraid this will be quite costly.

Ezio

Posted on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 05:57 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Problem is, "scratches" can describe a lot of different things. Have you seen the lens? Does the seller offer a return? If not, you might consider suggesting him to let you try the lens - with the provision that if you then decide to keep it, you will pay, say, 15-20% more than originally agreed. It worked for me in a couple of transactions (kept one lens, given back the other), although these were not on ebay which made the procedure simpler.

rick oleson

Posted on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 07:10 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the effect of scratches on the glass tends to be in proportion to the surface area affected: one or two deep scratches can be less harmful than an overall pattern of very light cleaning marks. I'd guess that the front element of a 600/4.0 (about 18,000 square millimeters in surface area) would have to have quite a few scratches on it to have a big effect. the nature of the effect is generally to reduce contrast, which may not be a big problem in exchange for a significant cost savings.

M. Currie

Posted on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 08:16 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know how Canon does it (and haven't, in a casual search, found an answer), but on some Nikon "big glass" lenses, there is a protective flat glass front element that isn't so hard to replace. If Canon does this too, it might be worth trying even if the scratches are bad (and the price is right).

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I believe Bob states that the scratches are light. That might mean just miniscule scratches in the coating - those would have absolutely no effect on the results, even in strong backlight.

Good luck,

Jan

bob stanton

Posted on Friday, June 04, 2004 - 10:12 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

thanks all for your responses. my take away is that i need a 30 day return period, then go out and test it in different light. as described, there are just a few minor ones, which seemed to me to be okay--i tend to shoot surfing in bright light, so i doubt it will be a big deal--but none-the-less, i will test it. it will save me a lot, on a lens that gets used only a few times a year.

bob stanton

Posted on Friday, June 11, 2004 - 01:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well, i received the 600. shot it into the sun as well as against. shot it at dusk. tried different background. blew the shots up large on my big screen monitor, and can't see any scratches. they ended up being just two very tiny ones--a few mm at most. rest of the glass surface was pristine. so far so good. the usm motors seems to be working (9 yrs old), but i'm going to watch it closely for a few weeks as i hear this is a major expense. so i saved about $1000 off what comp. ones are going for. thank you all! now if I can find a beat-up used shade for it--cheap. anyone got an extra?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration