Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Olympus 35 ED Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Olympus 35 ED « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Kevin Elliott

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 06:55 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello everyone,
I am a total novice to vintage cameras, so forgive me if my questions are a bit basic....I have recently acquired a reasonable looking Olympus 35 ED. It came with no batteries but was believed to be working. Having "fiddled" and advanced the film winder and cocked the self timer, I find I am unable to release either! Assume that's because it needs those batteries? That brings me on to the next, and I suspect often asked question, about suitable replacements for the old (2x) RM 640's or HM-N's. What is recommended?
I'd really like to get this camera working and wondered also if anyone can steer me towards a reliable repairer, should the insertion of replacement batteries not do the trick - I live in the south of England.
Many thanks in advance.
Kevin Elliott

charles stobbs

Posted on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 08:17 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, you need batteries. Here in the USA the easiest good substitute are zinc/air hearing aid batteries, #675. They are smaller than the originals nand need shimming/fitting.Cheers

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 12:23 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello Kevin

Actualy, an RM640 battery is quite a lot larger than the PX675. You would have to manufacture conductive spacers to be able to use those. Even than, there is quite a difference in the overall diameter of the two batteries and keeping proper contact might be aproblem. Try those sites:

http://www.photobattery.com/ and http://www.zbattery.com/electronic.html

Good luck,

Jan

Kevin Elliott

Posted on Sunday, June 06, 2004 - 04:19 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone,
I've now sourced a close match battery and used two springs to take up slack in housing. Shutter works at various speeds according to light, so assume meter is working ok. However, the little yellow light which is supposed to light up when you just touch the shutter release and as an indication of suitable exposure does not. If meter & shutter are ok, I guess you can manage without this feature but does anyone know what might be wrong and if there's a cure? I'm going to run a film through it and see how it goes anyway but it would be nice if a simple fix exists.
Thanks,
Kevin

charlie stobbs

Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 07:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kevin,
The only times the yellow light ever worked (intermittantly) in my 35 ED's was when I put in an overvoltage (1.5V) battery. Never any problem with the shutter at 1.4V. Charlie

Kevin Elliott

Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 10:53 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks Charlie. The replacement batteries are 1.5v, so I guess these yellow lights are just suspect on these old cameras.
Kind regards,
K.E.

Joe Falcone

Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 09:48 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello: For what it's worth, I took two hearing aid batteries, PX675's and put them into one of the two battery compartments and made it tight with some paper. I made sure that the positive end of the bottom battery was against the positive pickup, of course.
That gave me the 3 volts I needed. Then, I balled up some tin foil and put it in the other side completing the circuit and feeding 3 volts into the camera. The yellow light takes a lot of power, which the PX 675's seem to be unable to provide. The yellow light does light up for about a half a second, then dies. I imagine you would have to figure out a way to connect two of the batteries in parallel to give more amperage.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration