Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Canon QL17 Rangefinder Adjustment Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Canon QL17 Rangefinder Adjustment « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paul Ullery

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, June 05, 2004 - 06:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could someone please tell me how to make vertical and horizontal adjustments to the rangefinder on my Canon Canonet New QL17.
Thanks for your help.

Treve

Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 02:49 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi there!

I've just done this to my Canonet.

If you don't want to go to the bother of removing the top-cap, there are two holes that give you access to both of the adjustment screws.

On the back of the camera, just below (and slightly to the right of) the hot-shoe there will be a round cover made of either plastic or metal. If it's plastic, this cover just pops off with a small screwdriver or blade. If it's metal, you need to unscrew it (counter clockwise). This can be done using the eraser on the end of a pencil, or if you're very careful with some pliers. Once removed, you now have access to the vertical adjustment screw (which is at a 45 degree angle to the left of the hole).

The horizontal adjustment screw can be accessed by sliding off (backwards) the shiny metal cover in the hot-shoe. The screw is directly below the hole that is revealed.

To adjust the rangefinder, set the lens to infinity and point the camera at some high contrast subject in the distance, e.g. a church spire or tree. Leaving the lens focussed on infinity, place a screwdriver through the hot-shoe hole and adjust the horizontal screw so that the two images converge horizontally. Now repeat the exercise using the vertical adjustment screw at the back. Replace covers. You're done! If the rangefinder is correctly set for infinity, it should be fine for closer distances.

This is very simple. If I can do it, anyone can!

Treve

pullery

Posted on Wednesday, June 09, 2004 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Treve;
Thanks for the advice. You were right, it was simple. The focus is spot on from 1 meter to infinity. Now if I could just figure out how to replace the front element on the 40mm 1.7 lens.
Thanks again.
Paul

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration