Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Gossen Lunasix 3 battery position? Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Gossen Lunasix 3 battery position? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Taylor

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 04:21 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi,

I recently bought a Gossen Lunasix 3 off of eBay and got the original PX625 Mercury batteries off the internet. I can't seem to get the battery check to work and have tried (what I think to be) all the possible battery configurations.

Can anyone tell me the proper configuration for the batteries in the compartment? Ex: bottom-positive down, top-positive up.

I would really appreciate the help seeing as I think I have a dead meter on my hands.

Thanks,
--Taylor

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 04:29 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Taylor,

I have not held a Lunasix 3 (Luna-Pro in the US) for quite a while, but seem to recall that it had a diagram on the back, next to the battery compartment, which showed how to insert the batteries. I vaguely remember that the meter took 2 PX625's, with the plus side towards the outside of the meter body.

This could be a silly question - did you check the batteries with a separate voltmeter?

Good luck,

Jan

Taylor

Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 04:34 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WOW, quick response:)

Unfortunately, the 'mint condition' meter does mot have the sticker on the back that shows the battery position. From what I can make out of the manuals I've found online you are correct, positive facing up on both batteries.

I bought the batteries from PX625.com. They say that all are fresh stock, but no I have not tested them with a voltmeter (don't have one).

Is it looking like I have a dud?

Charley

Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 06:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Taylor:

I've emailed you a scan of the back of a Lunasix 3. You're correct - positive facing up, toward lid, for both batteries. Sliding the "Batt. Contr." switch to the right should cause the needle on the meter to come to rest in the small red area on the scale.

Note: these meters become stiff with disuse. Does the needle move at all? If it's stuck, gently rap the meter with your hand while trying to take a reading.

Charley

Jan Dvorak

Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 07:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Taylor,

Another idea - make sure that the battery contacts in the meter are squeaky clean. I guess the reason for the sticker missing from the back of the meter is the fact that it also bears the serial number......

Good luck,

Jan

Taylor

Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 07:58 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Charley,

First off thanks for the help.

I've inserted the batteries in the proper configuration. The needle definitely moves but not in relation to any measurements. If I hold down the measurement button and rap the meter it will change position, but never on it's own. How hard should I rap it? I don't want to do any more damage if possible.

The battery test also gives no change.

I've emailed the eBay seller alerting him of the problem. I'm hoping he'll just refund the money if I send it back. If not, it's just another headache to deal with.

Thanks for the help,
--Taylor

cdewen

Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 10:24 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Taylor:

Well, my vote is for "mint condition" dud, but that doesn't mean it's hopeless. A refund and another try on another auction may be the easiest way out.

In the meantime, though, you might keep trying.

How hard to rap? I'll call my method a "four-fingertip" rap. Harder than using just one finger, but softer than hitting it with your palm.

You say the needle moves, but not on its own. Does it give you a consistant reading? Hold the button in while pointing at an evenly lit wall, and note the reading. Keep holding the button in and put your other hand over the front of the meter. Shake your hands and see if the needle falls off to the left. Take your hand off the front and see if you can get the same reading off the wall, rapping or shaking as necessary.

If you can get the needle moving, give it some exercise by pointing it at a softly lit wall and switch from high to low range. The needle should swing back and forth from the high end of the low scale to the low end of the high scale.

Good luck.

Charley

Scott

Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 07:48 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Then there's the possibility that the negative battery wire was corroded from someone leaving the battery in it for years. Even though it might look intact, it might be corroded under the insulation to the point that it no longer conducts current. You might try replacing or "jumping" the negative battery wire with a test lead to see that is the problem.

Taylor

Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 11:18 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I guess I wasn't too clear before about the needle. The needle doesn't respond to light at all, it only moves if I hit the meter.

I have contacted the seller and he's agreed to refund my money. He didn't sound too shocked that it's dead so I wonder if he knew all along.

I'm going to try a few more things before I ship it but thanks for all the help:)

--Taylor

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration