Who are we?  Featured Cameras  Articles  Instruction Manuals  Repair Manuals  The Classic Camera Repair Forum  Books  View/Sign Guestbook

Argus AF Log in | Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Classic Camera Repair » Archives-2004 » Argus AF « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

JWon

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, June 07, 2004 - 11:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hello,

I recently acquired a Argus AF via ebay. It's in great shape except for the FOCUS RING!

When I disassemble the camera, the focus ring twists freely 1.5 feet to infinity. But once I load the springs and screw the neck in place it's REALLY HARD to rotate from about 6 feet to infinity! BUT...it rotates freely from infinity to 6 feet (and closer).

I tried lubricating the focus ring...I figured it wouldn't help...and it didn't.

I can't figure out what's wrong...HELP!

Thanks!

Dan Mitchell

Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 09:32 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There is a velvet strip inside the body that can come loose or get wrinkled and bind against that large spring. Usually, you have to remove and then reglue that piece of velvet. Other than that, I can't think of anything.

Dan Mitchell

Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 09:34 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oops, never mind. I just realized you're talking about the focus ring on the AF. Different problem. There is a screw-on ring there somewhere that maybe is on too tight. It's the ring that has the indicator mark for the focus position.

JWon

Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 11:29 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But it moves SO freely when disassembled...no hint of exessive friction...very smooth and easy.

I can't seem to find a screw on ring...I think I'm confused on that part...I don't know what I'm looking for...

But check this...I tried two things...

1) I disassembled the camera and took out the smaller of the two AF springs. Put the camera back together. The AF dial/ring no longer sticks or gets stiff at beyond 6ft. The problem is, it's a little too loose...to easy to move...and I think there's some excessive slack.

2) I tried one more thing. I took another Argus A I had laying around. I took the large spring out of that one. Compared it to the one in my AF. The one in my A was slighly shorter than the one in my AF. So...I stuck the shorter A spring in my AF (this time WITH the smaller spring as well). After reassembly...it's a LITTLE better...a LITTLE easier to move...but still quite stiff.

My conclusion? I think it might have something to do with the spring load. Maybe...

Ok...I have no clue...but it's gotta be something to do with the springs. With springs that are too tall/stiff, I think there's excessive friction somewhere....

If anyone knows, PLEASE help! Thanks!!!

Dan Mitchell

Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 01:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmmm. Possibly it's just friction between the springs and the back of the shutter and/or body. You could try using some Flitz polish to remove any oxidation and then put a little bit of silicon lube on the ends of the springs. From what I remember, there is probably some resistance turning one way and not the other because the edge of the spring pushes against the case. Maybe also look for a burr or sligtly bent end of the spring?

JWon

Posted on Tuesday, June 08, 2004 - 04:45 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

yes, it only has friction one way...when going to infinity. it smooth going down to 1.25 feet.

i'll try the polish and silicon lube! thanks!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration